Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to convert 10MHz clock to 1.024MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

arash rezaee

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi every one.
I want to convert 10MHz crystal clock to 1.024MHz. Some one told me I can do it with PLL but I don`t know how!!??
He sugested to me MC145152 PLL IC. Also, I read from this website that with DCM in FPGA we can create our clock but when I put input for 10MHz it said output can be from 18MHz to 300MHz. I need help and I really appreciate for your help.
Regards
Arash

There are several ways, using a PLL you would have to divide 10MHz by 2500 to give 4KHz then multiply it by 256 to give 1.024MHz.
Possibly a dual modulus divider could do it more efficiently.

Brian.

A non-fractional (= not generating additional jitter) PLL would use 64/625 as smallest integer frequency ratio. If a FPGA implementation is an option, you'll preferable generate 128 MHz (64/5) by a PLL and implement a 1/25 post divider in logic fabric.

Thanks for reply. I don`t have any idea about PLL. Can you explain more about PLL circuit ( maybe with schematic). So I can underestand how can confugure PLL IC to generate (64/5).
Regards
Arash

Dear Arash
Hi
Is it important to you , to create just 1.024 MHZ ? is there any problem with 1MHZ ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Dear Goldsmith

Yup. It is really important and I need 1.024MHZ ( Actually it is 1.048576MHz). It is really important to have such a frequency in my design.

Regards

Why not a micro controller ? you can achieve this frequency with that . but with PLL , i haven't any idea .
Good luck
Goldsmith

well I need this frequency for a part of my design inside the FPGA and I have no Idea how to generate it. Can you let me know how can I do it with micro controller?

Is it important to you , to create just 1.024 MHZ ? is there any problem with 1MHZ ?

Yup. It is really important and I need 1.024MHZ ( Actually it is 1.048576MHz).
:idea: The other way around: is that 10 MHz a given, or could that be changed? If yes, what's acceptable range?

Hi. 10Mhz is not important. all available crystals can be placed. Just output frequency is important.

2.097152 /2 = 1.048576
4.194304 /4 = 1.048576
22.00000 /21 = 1.047619 (within 0.1%, with discrete crystal circuit that includes a variable capacitor you might tune this).

Hi. 10Mhz is not important. all available crystals can be placed. Just output frequency is important.

If the 10MHz isn't critical, use a 10.48576 MHz crystal and divide by 10.

Brian.

If an FPGA with PLL is used in the application, it's easy to generate the exact 1.024 MHz form a standard crystal. You don't need to think about appoximation in this case. There's also no "PLL design problem" involved, you parametrize the respective Core Generator or MegaWizard and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.