Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect VU LED to computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halvin

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there a simple way to connect VU led to computers?
If yes then tell me how can i make a 100% circuit+ the software.

tHANKS IN ADVANCE

vu led meters

basically, there are 2 approaches. you either let the computer do the actual computing, or you put some ICs, which will be fed the input signal (probably amplified) after you pass it for each band through a band-pass filter. this band-pass filter will actually determine on what frequency each channel will "pop" or "dim". An example of such IC is AN6884.

There's one advantage into using a computer instead of feeding directly the signal - you can make the analyser/vu meterdisplay stuff when it's idle. Aaron's website had an example of one with direct signal feeding https://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/3chspec.htm.

If you want to go with the computer, it's not that easy. You'll first need to understand how to make a plugin for the software that's playing the music. I'd suggest winamp, since it's easiest. Then, you'll need some kind of programming language (I use C++ for my stuff, i also have some dll to interact with the parallel port, let me know if you want it), to write the actual code, that will generate the output in the vu-meter. if there are several channels, you'll also need some clock circuit, since you won't be able to set each individual led from a port (parallel has 8 + 4). Also, no led can be driven by the parralel port, except perhaps very small ones. So you'll need buffering/amplifing of the signal.

Re: VU Led meter

The correct integrated circuit for VU display is not LM3914. It is LM3916

National has the data sheet and application notes.
Miguel

Re: VU Led meter

another uv design ;)
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back