How to connect a male SMA connector to a PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpmedina

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all!

i am looking at available sma connectors and i am quite puzzled on how i would connect a male(plug) sma connector to my pcb. also the pictures posted by suppliers show only the front view of the sma, the one with the screw. i cant see any back side, i have no idea what it looks like and if i could solder it on my pcb

all the male connectors ive seen are those connected to a cable and not soldered directly like that of a female sma.

does the male sma have a small lead sticking out like a female where i could solder it?

thanks

sma connector

also the pictures posted by suppliers show only the front view of the sma
Seems like you never read a connector manufacturers datsheet...

They generally have dimensioned drawings, that show (nearly) all interesting details. The problem is however, that a male SMA PCB connector doesn't exist as a standard part. Possibly some manufacturer has one, but I never saw it.

Some manufaturers have a male flange mount connector, that can be PCB-mounted as a workaround. You have to screw (or solder) the 1/2" square flange to the board. The 1/20" center pin can be soldered to a through hole. Radiall R125 433 000 is a part of this kind.

I assumed, that you mean regular SMA, not reversed SMA, which would be a different topic.

how to solder sma connector on circuit board

i am magically repelled by mechanical drawings

this is perfect! but our supplier(rs-online) does not have this at hand

all the male sma's(from radiall) have a "crimp termination method" and all are "cable mounts".

i imagine these are what one would use for those rf cables. am i right? could i still use these, i mean solder them onto my pcb?

and yes, i am talking about the standard sma and not the reversed polarity

through hole sma connector

i purchased a cable instead of just the connector

the cable has male ends. this way i only need female connectors(which i already have)

yey!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…