Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect a male SMA connector to a PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpmedina

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all!

i am looking at available sma connectors and i am quite puzzled on how i would connect a male(plug) sma connector to my pcb. also the pictures posted by suppliers show only the front view of the sma, the one with the screw. i cant see any back side, i have no idea what it looks like and if i could solder it on my pcb

all the male connectors ive seen are those connected to a cable and not soldered directly like that of a female sma.

does the male sma have a small lead sticking out like a female where i could solder it?

thanks

sma connector

also the pictures posted by suppliers show only the front view of the sma
Seems like you never read a connector manufacturers datsheet...

They generally have dimensioned drawings, that show (nearly) all interesting details. The problem is however, that a male SMA PCB connector doesn't exist as a standard part. Possibly some manufacturer has one, but I never saw it.

Some manufaturers have a male flange mount connector, that can be PCB-mounted as a workaround. You have to screw (or solder) the 1/2" square flange to the board. The 1/20" center pin can be soldered to a through hole. Radiall R125 433 000 is a part of this kind.

I assumed, that you mean regular SMA, not reversed SMA, which would be a different topic.

how to solder sma connector on circuit board

i am magically repelled by mechanical drawings :)

this is perfect! but our supplier(rs-online) does not have this at hand :(

all the male sma's(from radiall) have a "crimp termination method" and all are "cable mounts".

i imagine these are what one would use for those rf cables. am i right? could i still use these, i mean solder them onto my pcb?

and yes, i am talking about the standard sma and not the reversed polarity

through hole sma connector

i purchased a cable instead of just the connector

the cable has male ends. this way i only need female connectors(which i already have)

yey! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back