Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect a DSP with hardware and test it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fugi

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have just started working with DSPs and my main query concerns the hardware topic.
OK, with MATLAB and CCS it is very easy to download and run a program in DSP but
how can you connect a DSP with hardware, resulting in a complete system?
For example how does a DSP interracts with the other circuits in a cell phone?
With a microcontoller?
How can I make DSP interact with CPU (without using MATLAB)? To send and receive data to CPU when the latter asks for/or not?
What's more how can I design and test such a system?
I didn't find anything relative in Google.
If you could provide me with some basic info or with some links, if it happens to know any, it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance
Sorry for the tons of queries :cry:

off topic:
think it's time to change smilies to default. Xmas are over... :D

Re: DSP introduction

Hi Fugi

1. how can you connect a DSP with hardware, resulting in a complete system?
A-> Well DSP is also a processor, it ocmes with host of options, like shared memeory access option via EMIF ( external memory interface), Host port interface, Serial ports like SCI and SPI, etc etc, which can be used to connect the
DSP other hardware boards or microcontrollers

How can I make DSP interact with CPU (without using MATLAB)? To send and receive data to CPU when the latter asks for/or not?
A->Well this would not be such an easy task, you would need to develop a interface based on both hardware and software requirement.

ex: say you want to use the SCI interface, you would need to first write drivers for both controllers and dsp to communicate with the SCI peripheral on either side.
then your application code can handle the data transfer

All this is part of system design engineering, and Iam sure if you look around in appliaction data sheets of the processor you should be able to gather the bits and pieces, which can be later used to build the test system you are targetting.

cheers
S

Re: DSP introduction

fugi said:
I have just started working with DSPs and my main query concerns the hardware topic.
OK, with MATLAB and CCS it is very easy to download and run a program in DSP but
how can you connect a DSP with hardware, resulting in a complete system?
For example how does a DSP interracts with the other circuits in a cell phone?
With a microcontoller?
What's more how can I design and test such a system?
I didn't find anything relative in Google.
If you could provide me with some basic info or with some links, if it happens to know any, it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance
Sorry for the tons of queries :cry:

off topic:
think it's time to change smilies to default. Xmas are over... :D

If you use TI DSP CPU, The DSP processor can interact with other CPU though the McBSP, I2C, SPI or share memory depend on CPU's hardware peripherals.
For more information, visit www.ti.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back