Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to confirm the W/L of a transistor in a circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

honsong

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to confirm the W/L of a transistor in a circuit?thak you!!!

interesting question- what do you mean by that???

I want to simulate a circuit,but I do not know how to choose the best W/L of a transistor.

I think you need to get your hands to a Circuit Design book. For starters, you decide this by keeping things like Current, process, and transconductance in mind..

Thanks for your reply!
Can you introduce some books about that?

The best W/L relation depende on your aplication.
By increasing W you will reduce the On resistance resulting in a reduction of the delay through the pass gate ( NMOS or PMOS) but in the other hand the Cox capacitance will increase, clearing this capacitance will be a problem so you need a compromise.
Another consideration is concerned to the expenses feeds, you must considere that every milimeter ^2 is very expensive.

P.D You need to keep L to the minimun value if you want a fast response of your device.

Regards.

In general use, I design the W/L dependent on the Vdsat and the process.

lianghuamo said:

Can you explain more detail?

test_out said:
lianghuamo said:

I think lianghuamo wanna get the correct operation point of the transistor. For example, with the drain current setted, the bigger the W/L is, the lowwer the Vgs-Vth, which is Vdssat would be. The more headroom one will get to insure the transistor works in saturation area.

sunjiao3 said:
test_out said:
lianghuamo said:

I think lianghuamo wanna get the correct operation point of the transistor. For example, with the drain current setted, the bigger the W/L is, the lowwer the Vgs-Vth, which is Vdssat would be. The more headroom one will get to insure the transistor works in saturation area.

So we need a proper vdsat according to process. Different process has different proper vdsat.

Razavi's book :Design of analog CMOS integrated circuits is a very good book to start with

just start writing your current and voltage equations,
You will automatically,get (W/L)

honsong said:
I want to simulate a circuit,but I do not know how to choose the best W/L of a transistor.

I can give you a quick way out. In most case W/L is kept as 6. So you can select W=60,and L=10. That works in most cases. And if the out put is somewhat as expected, then you can fine tune the value of W/L such as making W=120 and L=20. So go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back