Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to combine power of Power Amplifier using Lange-Coupler in ADS

pusparaga

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to combine power of two or three stage Power Amplifier (PA) using Microstrip Lange-Coupler using ADS -2022. As you know, there are four ports in Microstrip Lange-Coupler (LC)(I-Input, 2-Through, 3-Coupled and 4-Isolated). Where I have to use Lange-Coupler and How to use the same. Do we need to use LC at the input and output or while joining two stage. I am getting confused which port should be connected to where.
I am getting maximum output from single satge using single transistor is 28 dBm. How to place two stages, shall we place parallel or cascade because I am using 0.15 um GaN HEMT single transistor for single stage. If we connect it in parallel manner, will transistor sustain power more than 1 Watts. If I use two or three stages cascade manner, is it ok.

Attachments

• Microstrip_Lange_Coupler.jpg
    Microstrip_Lange_Coupler.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
beacuse the Lange-Coupler is reciprocal,so ports 1,4 or 2,3 are inputs.If prot 2,3 is the input,then port 1 or port 4 can be the output, the difference is that the phase difference to the different prots is 90 degrees.The other remaining port 50 ohm resistance to the ground.

beacuse the Lange-Coupler is reciprocal,so ports 1,4 or 2,3 are inputs.If prot 2,3 is the input,then port 1 or port 4 can be the output, the difference is that the phase difference to the different prots is 90 degrees.The other remaining port 50 ohm resistance to the ground.
If I use two stages in parallel, do we need to connect Lange-Coupler at the both input and output or only at the output enough. Clarify it.

I don't know if I understand right, is it the need for the circuit in the picture?

Attachments

• 1691334421603.png
    1691334421603.png
    397.8 KB · Views: 77
Below I have attached two types of combiner. Which one I have to choose.

Attachments

• Lange_Coupler_Usage.jpg
    Lange_Coupler_Usage.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Lange_Coupler_Usage_2.jpg
    Lange_Coupler_Usage_2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 67
Lange Coupler is not a classical Power Combiner. It's a 90 degree coupler that combines two identical Amplifiers in Balanced Mode. More info.
Thank you for your advice. Which coupler I need to choose. Shall I use Wilkinson Power Combiner or Branchline Coupler.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back