Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to choose the correct diode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to choose a diode

As above. How do I know which type of diode I should use?

how to choose diodes

Where this diode will work ?

Write more information, your question is very general.

how to choose diode

You want the current rating of the diode to be utilized. For rectifier applications the current goes from zero to a specified current. The diode is rated for average current with the peak current being very high. The way I find average current is to take the sine wave and break it into 16 equal parts. The discrete voltages are then applied to the impedance to find the discrete currents. Add the currents up and divide by 16 to give you the average current. Remember that the current of a capacitor is still the voltage divided by the impedance.

choose diode

What are the working conditions you wish to put your diode into?

diodes how to choose

Maybe I should ask "What's a diode used for?"! Is it for limitting current only? I know it only allows current to flow trhough in one direction, right? What about Zener diode? I got a diode here labelled as 79 C6 V2, wat is it for? In fact, I'm studying on some circuits so I'm trying to understand why they used all these diodes for!

Thanks for help anyway!

how do you choose the right diode?

Diodes can be of different types. It could be rectifier, zenner, varicap, diac, PIN, LED, etc. Each diode type has it's own function in circuit and symbol in schematics. Get some knowledge about diode types and their symbols and the things when analyzing circuits will be easier.

how to choose a diode?

You can find some very good information on diode (e.g. diode ratings) and its applications (e.g. rectifier) here:

how to choose a correct diode

nicleo said:
You can find some very good information on diode (e.g. diode ratings) and its applications (e.g. rectifier) here:

This is definitely a very good site for a beginner like me! Thanks a lot! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

diode choose

depends on ur application........

Using Si (silicion ) diode , u can turn it on by 0.7 volts threshold voltage.....
If u require less on voltage for particular application use Ge(Germanimu) diode....It's on voltage is 0.3 volts.....but Ge diodes have less power handling capability than silicon diodes.............

Zener diodes employ the zener characteristic regiion for use in particular applications.....In zener diodes the direction of conduction is opposite to that of the normal diodes .........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back