Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to charge a Ni-Mh battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

dss91

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to charge a Ni-Mh batter plz help me

recently i hav buyed a Ni-Mh battery instead of a lead acid battery bcoz lead acid battery is very heavy for my robo

but when i try to charge my ni mh battery (which is in the form of a pack of pencil cells) using a diode and transformer i failed to keep it charged up to rated voltage

it is a 12v battery i missed the Ah rating of battery

I've never worked with more than a single cell, but NiMH is a lot more complicated than the old-fashioned lead acid.

You really need to charge them at a constant current until the max voltage is reached. After that, trickle charge them.

I'd suggest you go to Linear Tech (no affiliation). They have some great app notes and some ASICs designed just for charging.

https://www.linear.com/pc/viewCategory.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1037,C1078

I'm sure other vendors have great info too, but LTC is the only one I've used.

I agree with the point that NiMH batteries are difficult to charge as they differ from standard Lead Acid batteries. I recently used NiMH batteries in one of my project and even I need to design a charger to charge them. there are some useful links where u can find info about it

https://www.powerstream.com/NiMH.htm

this will give u an overview of NiMH

**broken link removed**

try to download datasheet of any battery and see what are the voltages and curent limits mentioned to charge batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back