Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to change the ISR in Windows NT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nada

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
NT and ISR

hello everybody...

i know that in windows nt there is a kind of protection on the interrupt vector, so nobody can access the vector directly and change its content. but, i want to change isr for the mouse for example... i don't know if there exist a hole in the system so i can go through it, for example to design a driver by using DDK and then change the registry for the mouse to reflect the change (point to the new device driver rather than the standard)

is this possible?????? :roll:

Re: NT and ISR

Hello nada,

This problem has a solution for the paralel port.
It is based on some "undocumented" Window$ functions.

I used it and it works excelent.
You will have all pemisions in WinNT, like in Win98.

Even the lovely functions "outportb" and "inportb" will work again (like they did in good old times)!!!!

Please read the folowing description (especialy point 4 Technical Description) then Google to find more!!

h**p://www.etteam.com/download/UserPort.pdf

NT and ISR

I'm wondering if using undocumented API s can make some thing work incorrectly. I mean, undocumented APIs are not supposed to be used by normal applications running in windows, and so, may be doing this can have negative effects on the oprtaion of the entire system, ( e.g. the soundcard refuse to work correcrtly )
parallel port, as we know have lot's of ready and easy to use drivers, and so, no need to using these APIs, in addition the normal API of windows "CreateFile" can give you access to it.
Now, I'm wondering if it is possible to use normal set of APIs for doing what nada wants?
Are you sure that you need to develope a driver?

Re: NT and ISR

U have right mami_hacky !!!

may be doing this can have negative effects on the operation of the entire system...

Using this trick is a severe violation of NT system IO space security.

For example to use "outportb" function, you dont need a port "handle" (obtained normaly via an CreateFile API invokation), so it's posible for 2 or more aplication to use the paralel port in the same time!!

Imagine what a nightmare can result if someone want to print a file in same time U are testing your board using the same paralel port!!!

In fact the handle for a port can be viewed like a MUTEX object (mutual-exclusive) to acces an shared resource.

If U own the mutex, U can work with the port. When the job is done U release the mutex (via CloseFile) so other users are able to claim the mutex to make their own work.

The only way to comunicate directly to hardware in NT is via a device driver.

Writing a device driver for serial port is far beyond my knowledges.

I prefer to use allready writen device drivers to comunicate with them via API functions, but i dont know if they can answer nada's problem.

Those functions are documented in DDK (not in Win32 API).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back