Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate of the requirements of Op-am when designing a filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorande

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
How to calculate of the requirement of Op-am when designing a filter?
It seems the wrong OP-amp might quite likely to fail the filter.
But how could we know what kind of Op-amps do we need?

Thanks!

Re: OP-AMP in filter

it mainly depends on the 3db frequency of the opamp.... the opamp shouldnt attenuate the input signal beyond a particular level...

OP-AMP in filter

But......how will the 3dB bandwidth of the opamp affect the performance of the active filter?

Thx in advance!

beyond that the opamp gain wouldnt help that much... i'm talking about the closed loop gain....

OP-AMP in filter

just assume your opamp has a limited bandwidth and limited DC gain, probably a one-pole system and then plug that in your filter's transfer function, you will see the impact

You may want to consider looking at TI's Active Filter designer software. If you are using a rail-to rail opamp. I recently used this software to design a 10Hz LP filter for sensors interfacing into a microcontroller. The software also does band-pass filters. I like it better than Microchips filter designer software.

yorande said:
Hi,
How to calculate of the requirement of Op-am when designing a filter?
It seems the wrong OP-amp might quite likely to fail the filter.
But how could we know what kind of Op-amps do we need?

Thanks!

the op bandwidth should 10 times larger than filter bandwidth

for example the 741 has a 1MHz BW - gain product.. and u can use it only to design filters in the range of max some 100 KHz...

Take a look at TI's "active filter design techniques", google it.

windmillkity said:
Take a look at TI's "active filter design techniques", google it.

After reading this I'm still a bit confused about that bandwidth/gain stuff. I'm planning to build up a lowpass filter with a corner frequency of 100kHz with gain=1.

If I use a 741, which has a bandwith of 1MHz, this should be working, right?

But what happens if my filter has to have a corner frequency of 200kHz and gain=1. Would I have to look for another op amp then?

Status
Not open for further replies.