Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate a channel capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ismail bsa

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Shannon’s Channel Capacity Theorem (or the Shannon Hartley
Theorem) states that:

C= B* log2 (1 + S/N) bits/s.

Is this formula true only for Additive White Gaussian Noise (AWGN) or is it independent from the distribution of the noise?

In my case I have a non Gaussian noise and I want to calculate my channel capacity.

If it is the case, how can I measure the channel capacity other than using the Shannon theorem ?

use Shannon channel capacity theorem and classical thermodynamic Carnot's Law to derive the kT ln 2 minimum energy dissipation per bit for a communications channel.
Otherwise known as the Shannon/Carnot Limit.

Can you express the noise mathematically?

The noise that I am using is an impulsive noise which distribution is complex but can be approximated to a Middleton Class A distribution or an Alpha stable distribution. Those two distributions are well known but they are only approximations of my real noise.
I don't really know what is Capacity!
By definition it is the maximum number of bits per second that you can send over the channel with a very low probability of error.
So I was wondering if I make a very large number of Matlab simulations of transmitting symbols (BPSK modulated for example) from a transmitter to a receiver using a fixed Band width and a certain Signal to Interference Rate (SIR witch represents the power of the signal over the power of the noise), How can I measure the capacity of my channel ?
My idea is that I can calculate the Bit Error Rate (the number of error bits over the total number of bits). I will fix a minimum acceptable probability of error (say BER=10^-6).
Then I will calculate the number of correct received bits below my acceptable probability of error to find my channel capacity of that simulation.
After many simulations I will take the mean of all my calculated capacity witch will represent my channel capacity for a certain modulation, band width and SIR.

In other word I want to know how to calculate the channel capacity without using the mathematical formula.
PS: maybe I can use Shannon limit only as the theoretical limit for the maximum capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back