Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to built a GPS with competitive cost and good features?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel-sb

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
build gps

I work in company that it's core business is GIS, and I don't know, I kinda not been "utilized". So I got this idea to make myself more useful. I want to build a GPS for a purpose of road navigation, and for fishing navigation (even I have the brand's name with catchy names :D, actually this brand name is my main motivation, it have catch phrase potential :D). And also I have this idea to "squeeze-the-juice" of my company resources. I mean this company have many satellite image archive so I want to more utilized it.

The question is:
1. Is it possible?
2. How to built a GPS with competitive cost and have good feature. I have brainstorming on other thread too in this forum. And I will kindly appreciates any suggestion and advice.

that's all for now

thx

how to build gps 2009

The embedded SW investment in a GPS receiver is 10 man-years plus. Buy a comercial and mature chip-set

Re: Build GPS

klystron said:
The embedded SW investment in a GPS receiver is 10 man-years plus. Buy a comercial and mature chip-set

That's what I want to do, so the idea is more like of custom GPS like these two dudes from make magazine who make their own GPS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6-1uS0Pm_U

What I want to do is like those guys did, but the graphical interface should displayed a map and the corresponding coordinate also displayed.

But just like my final project adviser when I was in college said "the idea seems simple but the implementation is almost usually not as simple " :D

My reading so far is about file type that is used in navigation system is in GDF, meanwhile my hands-on experience in map digitizing only ER-MAPPER, ARC GIS which is in ESRI type.

And also, what kind of display device that can be used to realized my idea.

A user on the other thread suggest to use ARM uc which can run linux, but I still gathering information about this and learn about it.

Build GPS

It would be quicker to talk to PND hardware manufacturers about the possiblity customization features of your onto their product. Time to market is everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back