Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to boot from USB in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

weigee

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Windows 8 default set up doesn't seem to allow booting from USB. I have some linux programs that need to boot start from USB. I need step by step instructions to change the boot sequence and may be other settings as I am not very good at this.

It's the same with XP. It is a deliberate effort by Microsoft, to allow Windows to be installed only on a non-removable hard drive.

DOS, on the other hand, is possible to startup from an external drive.

Linux enthusiasts will recommend that you consider Ubuntu (Linux OS installation) on your computer. It is possible to choose whether to boot into Linux or Windows. It may be as simple as pressing F8 during startup.

You can try to hold down shift while clicking the reboot icon. Then you should get a menu that lets you reboot into the firmware menu. There you should be able to select that you want to boot from USB.

There should be a key to push(Dell's are F12) to get boot option list,that allows you to select a boot option - and then you can select boot to usb. You may also have to allow boot to USB in bios.

This keys could be deactivated with windows8 computers in order to full fill Microsofts fast boot criteria.
But they should be enabled if you restart windows 8 and holding down the shift key while clicking the reboot icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.