Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to actually write code into 8086

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalmisers

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Ok there are millions of books on telling how to program the 8086, but none say on how to actually transfer the code into the 8086 microprocessor. Forgive me for my naiveness but i only know how to add or subtract in the 8086 using the emulator 8086. Now I bought a 8086 uP and i am wondering how to transfer this code to the uP using its minimum mode operation.

For embedded programming the short answer is that you need to either:

(a)Build an 8086 based system with memory(flash, EEPROM or RAM) to hold your program where you need to develop the transfer software and interface
(b)Purchase a 8086 based development board to hold your program that comes with software to upload from a PC to the development board

You didn't mention what flavor of 8086 you are working with or if you are doing assembly code on a PC
Please elaborate

Well I am doing assembly code on PC using an emulator, I only have the Siemens 8086DQ 40 pin DIP uProcessor. So i need either to buşd a whole system my self with memory, but that seems like a lot of stuff i have never done before. Can you recommend any tutorials or books etc for developing a basic system like that?

Besides RAM and ROM, a 8086 needs some additional support chips to make a working minimal micro computer system. It's possible of course, but involves some effort. An old IBM-XT motherboard or any available x86 or x186 embedded micro computer board would be a more convenient platform to try x86 code in real hadware.

What do you exactly want to achieve?

Well an embedded system, two PWM outputs for DC/DC converter (MPPT) with digital feedback inputs and Led displays for readings.

Well i followed brey's book on 8086 and can program assembly codes efficiently on the 8086 emulator. Otherwise there is no specific reason. I just want to learn the x86 architecture from the basic and the easiest. Not sure if it is the right decision though.

- - - Updated - - -

Well i followed brey's book on 8086 and can program assembly codes efficiently on the 8086 emulator. Otherwise there is no specific reason. I just want to learn the x86 architecture from the basic and the easiest. Not sure if it is the right decision though.

- - - Updated - - -

Essentially, you need to build a computer. The easiest way (because 8086 technology is over 30 years old) is to find an old PC with a 8086 processor in it. Someone is probably using it as a doorstop. The other alternative is to get a 286 ro 386 computer to work on and only work with commands from the 8086 subset.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back