Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How should I model a large air-cored inductor to see E and H fields?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger Freeman

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I would like to do finite element analysis of an air-cored solenoid - the coil's diameter is approx 100mm, its length (height) is approx. 500mm and it is wound to have a single layer of 1500 turns - copper wire is approx.0.3mm diameter. The length of conductor wound upon the cylinder approaches lambda/4 for the frequency I want to model the structure at (hundreds of kHz or perhaps 1MHz). The solenoid will be modelled in a number of configurations, starting with it as a vertical electrically small antenna above a ground plane.

I'd like to investigate the electric/magnetic field distribution along the length of the axis of the coil, when the coil is energised at various frequencies and, ideally, I would like to model the input impedance of the coil and the output impedance.

HFSS cannot mesh this sort of structure , FEMM appears to handle static solutions only and NEC struggles with the number of turns (although I can scale it to suit, perhaps but then I am not sure how to scale the results).

Please could you suggest what modelling approach could I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back