Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How much electricity is lost in transmission and distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA3040

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,
This is only for understanding purpose

Does it effect to the power source , if we use the transmission lost power for anther purpose,

Symptom
One of my friend who lights the florescent ( tube light ) lamp using lost power of mobile base station closed to the his home

Please advice

Last edited:

Yes. When I serve in army at night the florescent tubes give us Morse code from near room operators.
Unfortunately I still don`t know the Morse code. Is it good or bad:sad:

Last edited:

Yes. When I serve in army at night the florescent tubes give us Morse code from near room operators.
Unfortunately I still don`t know Morse code. Is it good or bad:sad:

I could not get it

PA3040, your friend should report this to the operator of the mobile mast, that amount of power should never be directed at any one place. There is something wrong with its aerial system.
If you are talking RF transmission, in London, there is a population of 12 X 10^6 with say, 4 X 10^6 TV sets. The signal strength for a good signal is 2mV across 75 Ohms, which is 4/75 X 10^-6 Watts each. So the TV sets are consuming 4 X 10^6 X 4/75 X10^-6 = 16/75 Watts ~.21 W, the transmitters transmit 80 KW, so RF power
transmission is pretty ineffective.
Power transmission at 50HZ is > 90% efficient.
Frank

Last edited:

If I'm understanding this correctly from the original poster, is whether he should be using the power from a RF transmitter to light up fluorescent tubes??
???
Is my understanding correct?
???

If I'm understanding this correctly from the original poster, is whether he should be using the power from a RF transmitter to light up fluorescent tubes??
???
Is my understanding correct?
???

Dear schmitt

Thanks for the reply
This is the mobile telephone transmission base station ( GSM system ) I think 3G
I think you may correct but as per my friend, The lamp lights only very closed to the base station, what I am asking is, in this situation, does it effect to the transmission power of the base station

Please advice

- - - Updated - - -

PA3040, your friend should report this to the operator of the mobile mast, that amount of power should never be directed at any one place. There is something wrong with its aerial system.
If you are talking RF transmission, in London, there is a population of 12 X 10^6 with say, 4 X 10^6 TV sets. The signal strength for a good signal is 2mV across 75 Ohms, which is 4/75 X 10^-6 Watts each. So the TV sets are consuming 4 X 10^6 X 4/75 X10^-6 = 16/75 Watts ~.21 W, the transmitters transmit 80 KW, so RF power
transmission is pretty ineffective.
Power transmission at 50HZ is > 90% efficient.
Frank

Hi Thanks for the reply

As per my friend the lamp does not light at it max bright and the light we can see correctly at night time, as well as when we tough the lamp it's gets bright up

Please give your more suggestion

Last edited:

GSM base stations have antenna arrays that focus the radiated power to a narrow vertical range. Placing a receiver, e.g. a fluorescent lamp in front of the antenna would affect radiated power, outside the direct beam there should be no effects - and not much RF power available. Otherwise something is probably wrong with the antenna cabling, as already mentioned.

Reactions: PA3040

PA3040

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
GSM base stations have antenna arrays that focus the radiated power to a narrow vertical range. Placing a receiver, e.g. a fluorescent lamp in front of the antenna would affect radiated power, outside the direct beam there should be no effects - and not much RF power available. Otherwise something is probably wrong with the antenna cabling, as already mentioned.

Dear FvM
Really thanks for the reply
if so, the power consumption by fluorescent lamp must be consume power of the GSM base station power supply. Am I correct?

Please advice

Status
Not open for further replies.