Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How much current can blow the fuse ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ykai1203

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I need help.
If i have already known the shape and properties of fuse (thickness=0.8um, width = 0.6um, length=10um ; Aluminum).
How can i calculate or estimate the current(voltage) and time for fuse blowing ?

Any suggestions or papers for reference ?

Thanks

Added after 1 hours 51 minutes:

Pls refer to the attachment.
It is the estimated value of current.

The wire and SiO2 may be melting if the fuse is boiling.
I'm confused. This thermal conduction formula is for steady state ?
Is anything wrong ? Does anyone has any idea about this ?

First of all, the melting temperature of Al is ~660C, not 2792K.

Secondly, your model is steady-state, so that it shows (very crudely, as many effects are not accounted in your model) at what current will the fuse melt if you wait long enough. If you are interested in high-speed blowing o the fuse (for example, to minimize the energy required to blow the fuse), you need to solve transient equations (electrical and thermal, coupled).

Further, melting the fuse is not enough - the processes after melting are important in determining how reliable is the opened fuse (so that it does not start conducting after some electrical stress).

In addition, there are different mechanisms of fuse blowing - melting, electromigration (promoted by IBM), and other.

There are a lot of papers about electrical fuses, you can find them if you do a search at ieeexplore.ieee.org.

Max
----------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back