Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How many switch mode power supplys exist in UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

....Or any individual country, for that matter.
I say in UK, its 10 billion ? (10 x 1e9)
(I am including "every" single SMPS, eg, including ones like local 5W buck converters on a PCB in a product.)

Quick check here and there are 38 in use and if you include my box of PC spares, another 5. That doesn't include LED/CFL power modules or low voltage DC-DC inverters used inside equipment.

No wonder my radio equipment picks up S9 noise across half the spectrum!

Brian.

thanks, I reckon its easily 10 billion, , yes , I also meant to include led driver, fluorescent drivers etc.

That bumps the figure up significantly - probably an extra 4 for wired in DC-DC inverters, mostly for deriving -ve supplies from positive in my equipment. 17 LEDs in room lights with internal PSUs and 2 CFLs.

Not sure how many houses there are in the UK but a guess ~20 million, if they are all like mine that's a total of 1.2 x 10^9 but that excludes industrial/commercial properties of course.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.