Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How many people have gotten the windows 7 virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terenkleon

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm talking about the virus which acts like it is supposed to be a virus protection scanner and tells you that you have hundreds of viruses/ trojans/ worms etc. It also prevents you from opening up any windows or going on the internet as it pops up with windows nonstop. It will also have something where it tries to scare you into buying their software so they can steal your credit card #/ or other personal information for anyone dumb enough to fall for it.

Anyways I got it yesterday and I found that the only way to get rid of it is to re-boot the computer back to the manufacturers setting so all the settings on the computer have to be redone. I was actually away from the computer when it happened so does anyone know where this comes from or any way to get rid of it easily?

I've gotten it many times already, and avira, or mcfee doesn't seem to do anything to stop it.

Read this :- Trojan horse Trojan horse (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And also read the following links present at the lower part of that page.

Cyber spying
Dancing pigs
Exploit (computer security)
Industrial espionage
Malware
Principle of least privilege
Privacy-invasive software
Reverse connection
Rogue security software
Secure computing
Social engineering (security)
Spam
Spyware
Timeline of computer viruses and worms
Bundestrojaner

---------- Post added at 00:55 ---------- Previous post was at 00:49 ----------

May be its re-occurance of the same infection. If possible, boot from the installation CD, format HDD and reinstall OS. Install a good Anti virus software before surfing net. Never download any executable program from any unknown source.

I use an antivirus and common sense so I have no idea what are you talking about

In simple words - There are some viruses that may fool an anti virus inspite of letest update. When you re-boot the computer back to the manufacturers setting , the virus may stay hidden in several places. So it is re-appearing again. If your AV software fails to identify a virus then search the net and your AV software's home page to identify it by matching symptoms.You may get patch files/ details of how to remove it.

If possible, boot from the installation CD, format HDD and reinstall OS. Install a good Anti virus software before surfing net. Never download any executable program from any unknown source.[/B]
You forgot the most important thing: update! The important thing is always to re-install from known-good media (latest backup may not be it since it can contain infected files as well), and secure a system as much as possible before plugging it into a network. When you do (preferably via a hardware firewall like a home router), the first thing to do is install manufacturer-provided updates. It's likely (!) the known-good software you start with has some vulnerabilities, if you go do regular work without plugging those first, chances are you'll be infected with some crap quickly.

And of course don't download + run software from unknown / untrusted sources. :roll:

I've gotten it many times already, and avira, or mcfee doesn't seem to do anything to stop it.
Cleaning up a malware infection is annoying enough, having the same problem over & over & over again is just stupid waste of time. I myself moved to Linux long ago (Debian stable right now), it serves all my computing needs these days. And while using Linux has its own set of problems (mostly for newbies that are used to Windows), malware isn't one of them.

Would you be referring to a virus called 'Personal Internet Security 2011' (or something like it)?

I got this one a year or two ago (XP Internet Security 2011). I ended up having to reformat and reinstall everything.

The cures that were described at websites either didn't work for me, or appeared too much trouble to use.

There's a whole family of this virus, the one where the name has a year at the end. They have a reputation for being terribly hard to remove.

It's getting so some of these malwares are specially made to get past the free (or frequently used) antivirus utilities. They alter the registry. They slow down operations. They hijack your web browser. You try a google search and end up at some strange website.

I saw a computer expert's answer to the question, 'Once your computer is infected, and you use an antivirus detection and removal utility, can you be sure it really undid all the damage?' The answer was 'You can't be sure'. These days there are so many bad things a malware can do to your system. So even if the virus itself is removed, there is no way the utility can track down each and every alteration the virus did to your system before it was detected.

In other words there's no guarantee your system can be restored to its previous uninfected state.

I reformatted and reinstalled. It's a good idea to do this every year or two anyway, according to some computer experts.

I use the Windows XP firewall that came with the service pack. I haven't had signs of a virus for a couple years now.

Sir. I would suggest that you avoid clicking ads on the net... some of them have this worms and other viruses...also you should have anti-virus software(personally, i use avast)... and also avoid clicking pop-up ads and sites. Have a regular full system scan :)

i have given up. i just don't remember how many times so far i have formatted my computer due to virus. i have heard that no anti virus can guarantee you more than 50 to 55 %. if its true what is the use of anti virus.

Back in college one of our comp. Sc. professors used to tell us --"The best way to secure your computer is to disconnect it from network. He .. he ..he.".
Remember that Antivirus software & Firewall is primary line of defence. Apart from net, you have to look after CDs (games,etc. not from reliable source), pendrive etc.
As RetroTechie said above - don't download + run software from unknown / untrusted sources + Even do not open mail attachments from unknown / untrusted sources + Do not use CDs or pen drives from unknown / untrusted sources.

A poorly written computer program or game(not being a virus) may cause damage to your computer such a way that may lead to formatting.
Use a good antivirus with Browsing protection. I use Quick Heal.

Last edited:

that's a wise thing to do sir.,.that you didn't fall for it,.,.'coz some falls for it..

the best thing to do sir is that not to interact with 'virus software' thing in the internet.,.,usually it pops up out from nowhere...

prevention is better than cure motto is applicable too.

that's a wise thing to do sir.,.that you didn't fall for it,.,.'coz some falls for it..

the best thing to do sir is that not to interact with 'virus software' thing in the internet.,.,usually it pops up out from nowhere...

prevention is better than cure motto is applicable too.

Thats true

Status
Not open for further replies.