Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how is input impedance related to fanout ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivekrajeev

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what significance does output impedance have ??? and how are fanout and input impedacne related please direct me to right material

Fanout has no relationship to input impedance of that device. It has a loose link to the input impedance of following devices. Output impedance is the thing. A device has to supply current to successive devices at above the minimum "1" voltage, while doing so it drops the voltage internally via its output impedance. i.e. Vcc - (O/P r X Iout) > V logic "1" min
Frank

Hi;
One question;
Vcc - (O/P r X Iout) > V logic "1" min
Here Iout seems to me related to input impedance of the following (driven) devices. Isn't it?

hi frank
from ur reply i understand that output impedance of a cell has link to the input impedance of the following devices. is it right ??? Can you direct me to the material which has figures so that i can understand better

Vcc - (O/P r X Iout) > V logic "1" min

so when a device has high o/p R the Iout it delivers should be less isnt it so that it is greater than > V logic "1" min

As an example, from memory of TTL (40 years ago!). VCC = 5V, V logic "1" > 2.4V, I input = 100uA. With this family of devices there is an internal voltage drop of a diode, .8V?. The fan out is specified at 10. So 5V -.8V -( O/P r X {10 X 100uA)) > 2.4V or 4.2 - (O/P r X 1mA) > 2.4V or 1.8 - (O/P X 1mA) >0 or 1.8 > O/P r X 1ma , So O/P r <1.8K ohms. With CMOS i/p currents at the pica amp level, I am not sure if fanout means anything other then the speed that the input capacity of device (or devices) can be charged.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.