Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how is FFT efficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhupala

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

i have a doubt like why is and how is FFT algorithm an efficient wat of computing DFT a sequence.

i have read so many books on DSP but i only got that the number of computations get reduced to Nlog(N) fron N^(2). But how will it get reduced to that?

Can anyone help me in that aspect by giving an example.

i will be indebted to u

thank u

sri hari

There is an example in Openhim's book " Descrit signal prossesing" in related chapter.

The FFT divides the n data samples into 2 sets of n/2 samples. Each resultant set is again split into 2 parts, etc. The result is that you do multiple FFTs on small data sets. This a gross simplification.
Regards,
Kral

For an N-length signal, the DFT requires N^2 number of computations.
FFT divides the signal into its odd and even components and takes the FT of each; this reduces the number of computations in the FT to 2*(N/2)^2 = (N^2)/2.
If you continue spliting the signal in two you'll effectively reduce the number of computations required in the DFT.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need a more elaborate response.

because FFTis summation whill DFT is integration
therefore saves computation time

The Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) is not an integration it is a summation just like the FFT. In fact, the FFT is just a fast way of computing the DFT, from there its name Fast-Fourier Transform.

Because FFT changes the order of operations by grouping the same kind...

Status
Not open for further replies.