Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does this shunt regulator work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhi_yi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi there, please tell me how do this shunt regulator circuit work, and what is the advantages and disadvantages of this circuit??

thank you :)

Re: shunt regulator 2

In this circuit opamp compares the output voltage divided by R1 and R2 with the zener voltage so the output voltage will be Vload=Vzener*(R1+R2)/R1 and transistor will conduct just enough current to control the output vltage at this level ..
The whole control current in this case is conducted by the transistor ..
Regards,
IanP

how about the Vcc and Vee for the op amp, do we need to connect the Vin as Vcc, and Ground as Vee? so in open loop, the output would be Vcc or 0 Volt? is it the collector of the transistor in reverse biased? if the output from comparator is Vcc, the base current would be in forward biased, so, what will happen to the transistor? is it saturate, cut off, or active?? and is it the function of R3 there as series resistor to the zener, so it limit the current to the zener diode, and prevent exceeding current to flow into the zener?

please correct me..

thank you :)

Vcc=Vin
Vee=GND
In "open loop" situation the opamp will try to forse the output to go HIGH, but real opamps have current limit in output stages (≈10-20mA).
Depending on currents in the circuit it may be enough (Ic≈β*Ib) to saturate transistor ..
As you said, R3 limits current to the zener diode ..
Regards,
IanP

oo.. okay, thank you Ianp, then, please tell me what is the advantages and disadvantages of using this circuit??

shunt regulator 2

The advantage is that a shunt regulator can usually be designed to work with a lower voltage overhead than a series regulator, eg a typical 7805 series regulator needs Vin to be a minimum of about 3V avove the load voltage.

The disadvantage is that in typical applications shunt regulators.are less efficient than series regulators. More power is wasted as heat.;

please help me what should i do to make that circuit adjustable..
i've simulate it, but didn't work..

throwaway18 said:
The advantage is that a shunt regulator can usually be designed to work with a lower voltage overhead than a series regulator, eg a typical 7805 series regulator needs Vin to be a minimum of about 3V avove the load voltage.

The disadvantage is that in typical applications shunt regulators.are less efficient than series regulators. More power is wasted as heat.;

Hello,

when using a PNP transistor as pass element, the voltage drop across the pass element can be in the 100mV range. There are several so-called Low Drop Out (LDO) regulators that also need far below 1V overhead.

Agree with the efficiency, especially with varying loads.

ok thanks at all,,problem solved,,i didn't read the whole article
To develop a voltage for the adjustable set-point, we used a 15 V, 1 W zener diode and a 4.7 K trim-pot. To calculate the series resistor for the zener, we just used:

VOLTAGE DROP (20 - 15) V
R = ------------ = ------------- = 250 Ohms. We used 200 Ohms.
ZENER CURRENT 20 mA

WATTS = (5V) x (5V) / 200 = 125 mW (Use 1/4 Watt)
and just use 5.1V 20mA zener

thanks at all,,
terima kasih [indonesia]

regards,

nugnug

if theres's any problem, i've write about voltage shunt regulator in **broken link removed**
sorry if it use indonesian

Status
Not open for further replies.