Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does this Automatic Pour-Over Coffee Brewer work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elektrotechnik

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am looking to build my own automatic pour-over coffee brewer that dispenses the hot water in the same outward spiral rotation that the barista's hand does it. Through my research, I found this kickstarter project . Where would be the best place for me to start in order to replicate something like this?

I'm struggling to think of ways to get the water spout to move in an outward spiral rotation.

Any ideas would be great! Let me know if you need some clarification answers.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, the correct link for the Kickster project is as follows:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/invergocoffee/invergo-the-first-automated-pour-over-coffee-syste

Last edited by a moderator:

1) Fancy solution: use 2 motors as x/y positioner to move spout and command them using the equation for a spiral.
2) Cheap soluion: Have a rotating disc with a spiral slot cut in it and the spout sits in the slot.

I prefer my old Rancilio Silvia . they never break down unless you turn on without water in the SS tank. double expresso , variable temperature. Milk frother etc.

1) Fancy solution: use 2 motors as x/y positioner to move spout and command them using the equation for a spiral.
2) Cheap soluion: Have a rotating disc with a spiral slot cut in it and the spout sits in the slot.

Nice ideas, barry. Do you know of any resources that would assist in development of the 2-motor x/y position system?

What kind of resources are you looking for? Someone is apparently already doing this. Are you looking to be a competitor, or are you just doing this as a one-of-a-kind project?

What kind of resources are you looking for? Someone is apparently already doing this. Are you looking to be a competitor, or are you just doing this as a one-of-a-kind project?

I'm looking to build my own - just for my personal use. Basically, I'm just looking for a way to control the water spout's rotation, while giving it the ability to spiral in and out.

Obviously, there won't be a tutorial on how to build a barista-like pour-over brewer. But I'm a hobbyist EE, and not really versed in gears / motor control. I'm wondering if there is anything out there similar to this concept that can be modified for a pour-over coffee application.

Just make a disc with a spiral groove cut in it. Make it rotate slowly, either with a standard motor and gearbox or with a stepper motor. Make a spigot for the water to pass through and engage it in the spiral slot and also make it pass through a straight slot in a fixed bracket, aligned with the center of the disc. As it turns, the spigot will be pushed by the spiral slot making it traverse the straight slot. Then rotate the cup/mug to get the final pour pattern.

The XY plotter method will work but it will be mechanically awkward to make small enough for a coffee machine.

You could copy the method in the image which would be based on orbital gears but only needs one motor.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back