Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS485 automatic RX/TX rpi pico

Status
Not open for further replies.

roshV

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to build a PCB with RPI pico that can read devices over RS485.
I found the official schematic of RS485-TTL converter of M5.

Here in the official schematic (https://docs.m5stack.com/en/unit/rs485), the TX from microcontroller is connected to Enable pins, DE and RE. The DI of the chip is connected to ground. How can this achieve bi-directional communication?

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 15.24.39.png

This looks pretty goofy to me. I'm guessing the way it's supposed to work is like this:

When TX is high, the enables are low, enabling the receiver which is a high impedance input, so A is pulled high and B is pulled low, if not driven by the remote transmitter.
When TX is low, the transmitter is enabled, and since DI is pulled low, A is low and B is high.

This just looks a little too clever for my taste. I guess it saves an enable line.

Thanks for explanation.

I tested M5, it does work well.

I was confused how come I am able to send serial data out from microcontroller to an RS485 device with DI pin not connected to Tx of microcontroller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back