Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does this active antenna work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have found this active antenna **broken link removed** (schematic at the end of the page) and I was wondering how does it work?

I can guess how the second transistor work, but I am confused of how the first transistor, the bas16 diode and the transformer work?

Also what is the expected frequency range (apart from what the author states) and it's gain, given that the vcc is 3v ?

Last edited:

I believe the promised X2 signal enhancement by the transformer isn't so essential for the amplifier, apart from this detail it's a buffer amplifier with high input impedance.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I believe the promised X2 signal enhancement by the transformer isn't so essential for the amplifier, apart from this detail it's a buffer amplifier with high input impedance.

So the transformer is there in order to double the signal?
What about the bas16?

Any estimation of the gain of the preamplifier?

The diode is protecting the FET against ESD and other possible input overvoltage.

Voltage must be below 6 dB, hopefully it's greater than 0 dB. Antenna effective height and output impedance is the more interesting part of the problem.

neazoi

Voltage must be below 6 dB, hopefully it's greater than 0 dB.
You mean the gain of the amplifier, right?
0db is no gain, so what is the meaning of having the preamp in place? Maybe all the voltage gain depends on the transformer and the transistors are there as current amplifiers? (a guess)

Last edited:

Yes, I meaned to write voltage gain.

0 dB or even negative voltage gain can be still reasonable for a buffer amlifier with high input impedance.

neazoi

Yes, I meaned to write voltage gain.
0 dB or even negative voltage gain can be still reasonable for a buffer amlifier with high input impedance.

From your experience it this preamplifier going to do a significant difference in RX signal amplification?
In other words does it worth it to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back