Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does Hyperterminal works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuvalkesi

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I guess my question is pretty basic... I'll ask this anyway.
How do I use the hyperterminal once it's running?
I mean, let's say the computer is connected to a uart Maxim chip, and from there, to an IP core inside FPGA. Once the hyperterminal is running, and the screen is black, does something need to show on the screen?
I mean, I know that sometimes, when you boot a board up, you see some text on the hyperterminal screen. How did this text show up?
I guess this question is kinda blurry, but I would be happy if someone would explain in a few words how this works...
Thx.
Tom

yuvalkesi said:
Once the hyperterminal is running, and the screen is black, does something need to show on the screen?
Nothing will be shown unless you send something to the PC's serial port. To achieve this you must configure the correct port settings. Once you are sure that you are connected to the correct comm port and the hyperterminal settings match the MCU UART settings (assuming that you plug a board with a MCU on the PC serial port), then you can recieve data from the MCU and send data from the PC by simply typing from your keyboard. Don't get confused if you type and nothing is shown on the PC screen. Since you have the "local echo" option disabled, you are able to see only what it is sent by the external device.

yuvalkesi said:
I mean, I know that sometimes, when you boot a board up, you see some text on the hyperterminal screen. How did this text show up?
If the MCU UART sends data, then when a board is plugged on the PC's serial port, data will be received by the PC and will be shown on the PC monitor.

HyperACCESS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
HyperTerminal
What is HyperTerminal? - Definition from Whatis.com

Hope that helped,
Alexandros

Hi,
Thanks for the reply and the links.
I have a question though regarding this link, if you don't mind...:
MAX232 Hyperterminal Example - YouTube
go to 1:03.
How did this information showed up on the screen on boot? Does the uController sends it?
Thx.

yuvalkesi said:
How did this information showed up on the screen on boot? Does the uController sends it?
I think that I heart something about a board, so yes it comes from a board. But this could come from any device with serial communication infastracture, like another terminal for instance. You could make the following test. If your PC has 2 serial ports, then you can connect them together and open two hyperterminals, one for each port. If you send data from one hyperterminal window, they should appear in the other window.

Alexandros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back