Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I integrate an optocoupler into a CAN-bus to isolate one node from the bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Floyd

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I should install an optocoupler into CAN-bus that I can galvanically isolate one of my nodes from the bus. I´ve actually found a right optocoupler already. Still I don´t know how do I connect this between the CAN-bus and the node that I want to isolate. This optocoupler is meant for CAN-bus but there is nothing told in the datasheet how the electrical connection are supposed to do with CAN-bus application.:roll:

The datasheet of the optocoupler is attached to this message.

Thank you for all kind of help!

E-Floyd

Attachments

• optocoupler_CAN_bus.pdf
    136.4 KB · Views: 321

There are many useful CAN bus example circuits, especially in the user install manuals from vendors of CAN bus interface cards.
Here is a link to one --> LINK
At ni.com, there is a range of (expensive!) CAN bus cards. The user manuals explain connections.

It is not too hard to see the places you would connect the Opto-Isolator to Tx and Rx drivers to make a node which drives the bus, and receives signals from the bus, but does not make any current-sinking connection at all.

Hello Darktrax,

thank you for your kind help. What I realised now is that everyone is doing the galvanic isolation between the CAN tranceiver and CAN controller. However I can´t access the node´s electronics so I have to do the isolation between the CAN tranceiver and the CAN-bus. This means that the isolation would be in the middle of the CAN-bus. I think that I have to design some kind of gateway which includes the isolation in itself. The CAN-bus comes from the node into the gateway and comes out from the gateway and continues to the rest of the CAN-bus system. How does is sound for you? Do you have better ideas? This means that inputs and outputs to the isolation barrier are CAN-signals (not tx rx - signals).

- - - Updated - - -

Is it a good solution to buy two of these bidirectional TTL-CAN converters and put them in the order of CAN-TTL-TTL-CAN ? Then I have two galvanic isolations in the string and I just connect these converters in series with the CAN-bus. Sounds working idea?

Here are the converters: http://www.deditec.de/en/entwicklungstools/prod/ttl-can-adapter.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back