Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I get MAC address of an Access Point ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

makif

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am designing a locator that includes GPS/GSM but I want to add Wi-Fi locationing ability too. I will use Google Mobile Maps application for locationing an Access Point. This application works as follows : you detect an access point, capture its MAC address, transmit that information to Google, and if Google has this MAC address registered in its database, it will tell you the position. But in order for this operation to work, I need to get MAC address of an AP with or without connecting to it.

The problem is I am not sure about how to do it. Would such a wi-fi module be sufficient to get MAC address of AP ?

**broken link removed**

I am implementing the tracker on a watch, so I have heavy restraints on the usable area. As only usage of wi-fi would be to capture MAC address, I am looking for simpler solutions, instead of using complete module, would be it possible to use simple wi-fi transceiver ? I only want MAC address information, even connection is not required. I found some RF transceivers in Maxim for this purpose, what do you think about it ?

**broken link removed**

Many thanks for your answers.

Geezz i hate Google and their "Functions" :-?

Keep out of my AP , Mac-Addy & My Location

/Bingo

Geezz i hate Google and their "Functions" :-?

Keep out of my AP , Mac-Addy & My Location

/Bingo

It is pretty simple to do so, you just need to include nomap to your SSID. This way, Google and users won`t be able to use your AP for locationing. We want to develop a locator that would be useful for the patients.

ask the local telecom

Status
Not open for further replies.