Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I connect 8 Flash memories to a bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

socketz

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have eight M58LW064D flash memory chips, they are 8 megs each for a total of 64 Megs.

The M58LW064D datasheet is here:
www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/8938.pdf

I have a 16 bit data bus in my mcu, and, as I stated, I need to connect 8 of these chips to the data bus.

The M58LW064D has 22 address lines in 16 bit mode, and 3 enable lines.
Page 11 of the datasheet contains the 3 enable lines truth table.

I obviously have 3 more address lines than the chips, but instead of using a 3 to 8 decoder, I know I can just use the enable lines in the flash memories.

The problem is I don't know how to connect the 3 address lines to the 3 enable lines. It's pretty obvious that it's not a 1 to 1 connection because the 3 address lines in 0 would enable ALL the chips, and I need only 1 to be enabled at a time.

Can you help?

Thanks.

You Need to use address decoder

You can design custom one using CPLD from xilinx cypress or altera

any other method involved using glue logic like hc138/139 etc

best

bobi

Hello,

perhaps you will also need additional bus drivers because 8 devices are a not a little load. This depends on all devices which are working on the bus and if they have enough power (current) to drive the signals.

Bye,
cube007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back