Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How could I visualize metal coupling in die layouts from EM simulation (ADS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freestylesoap

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am new to layout and EM (mostly using ADS). When drawing layouts, metal coupling is one of the main concern.(am I right?) I am wondering Is there anyway to check or to visualize metal coupling in the layout?(maybe from EM simulation?

Thanks!

Put ports on appropriate locations of your metals and check the resultant S parameters of your interest

Usually, simulation tools allow visualizing the fields that are simulated.

For example, for capacitive coupling, electric field lines would tell where capacitance is coming from (in finite element or finite difference method based tools), or a surface charge density (in boundary element tools).
Very often just viewing the structure - in 2D (top view, layout / GDS file, etc.) or 3D - is useful to understand the sources of capacitive coupling. Capacitance is very deeply related to the geometry.

Magnetic coupling is a more difficult thing, it depends not only on the geometry, but also on the direction of the current flow, return path, current loops, etc.

In IC design flow, parasitic extraction tools can generate distributed RC model/network, and analyzing it may help understand parasitics (R, C, L, ...) and their root causes.

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back