Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I use Laplace in constant current source instead of a general voltage source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruwan2

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am familiar with DSP in recent years, but not in analog circuit analysis. When I try to simulate a charge pump circuit in a PLL, I have a few questions on the charge pump.
1. A RC network behaves different for a voltage source and a current source. For a current source, the voltage cross the capacitor increases linearly while it is not linear for a voltage source. The same Laplace transform can be used for a current source driven RC network? Or, some modifications are needed?
2. How do I simulate a current source charge pump? I don't see a mechanism or library component for the charge pump simulation in Matlab/Simulink. There is a current source component in "Electrical Sources", but it is not for this PLL simulation purpose. I don't see it is useful here.

Can you help me on the questions?

Thanks,

Hi,

You need to understand voltages and currents in RC series connection and RC parallel connection.

In a series connection the current through each device is the same.
Thus with a constant current source in an RC series connection the current through the C is independent of the value of R.
...and thus the voltage across the C is independent of R. You even may omit the R.
Then the voltage across the C is just the integral of I/C over time. (No need for Laplace).

Similar if you have a voltage source and an RC parallel connection.
The current through C is independent of R.
Maybe here it is more obvious (or more commonly known) that the voltage across the C is independent of the value of R.

Klaus

Feeding with RC with current versus voltage source results in a different circuit, different differential equations and thus different Laplace transfer function. Calculate yourself.

It's always possible to model the charge pump circuit behaviorally with a combination of linear and non-linear function elements. Electrical components library is for your convenience, but is must not necessarily cover all application cases.

When I try to simulate a charge pump circuit in a PLL

Models in Mathworks Simulink are signal-flow model,
so there is no concept of kirchhoff's rule.
Off course, there is no concept of voltage and current.

However Loop filter of charge pump PLL is a block where input is a current and output is a voltage.
So if you will model charge pump and Loop filter separately, it is very difficult to model them without energy consevative modeling concept.
Use https://mathworks.com/help/physmod/simscape/electrical-models.html

If you will model charge pump and loop filter as one block, you can model it by signal-flow modeling concept.

1. The same Laplace transform can be used for a current source driven RC network?
Of course, No.
Transfer functions are different, Hv=Vout/Vin, Zt=Vout/Iin.

2. How do I simulate a current source charge pump?
I don't see a mechanism or library component for the charge pump simulation in Matlab/Simulink.
Use https://mathworks.com/help/physmod/simscape/electrical-models.html

If you don't use energy consevative modeling concept, you have to express all signal as voltage and express loop filter as Vout/Vin.
Or you have to model charge pump and loop filter as one block.

Status
Not open for further replies.