Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can I select zener diode in this circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhengchao201105

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
for example:how can I select the zener in this circuit ?which parameter should I focus on?dose anyone can share me some good idea
you can find in this ciucuit the pulsed current is about 5A,so 1n5352 is right?
zener_select.pngzener_select_result.png

You should choose a zener diode with sufficient wattage rating so it wont burn out. Voltage over zener diode times current that flow through it should be less than it's wattage rating. For example: you have 5V 1W rated diode, so the current through it shouldnt be more then 1/5 A.

1N5352 is a 15V zener rated 5W.

My simulation shows it carries bursts of over 4 amps. That is 70 watts.

It's for a small portion of the cycle, but it is still a big demand on a component rated for 5W.

By the way, the capacitive drop method wastes several amps during 1/2 of the cycle.
However if you use a full-wave diode bridge, you can have put this to use. You can still use a capacitor to achieve AC drop, and it can be a lower microfarad value.

Per schematic:

47_1346618729.png

Assuming sufficient thermal capacity of the Z-diode, it must me at least rated for the average power, which is about Vz*Iavg. Obviously it's not achieved with the said diode. In a real circuit other than in simulation, 1N4148 would "fuse" long before.

Another points to consider, most electrolytic capacitors from the market won't stand the large AC current for long.

A reasonable purpose of the circuit doesn't seem in reach.

dude you can improve the circuit without punting such strain on the ziner
for example put a cap in serial with D1

Status
Not open for further replies.