Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I power two devices using only 1 plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlor

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If you can't see the entire image below, right click it and then click View Image.

**broken link removed**

I am making a lamp with water coming down the sides of the glass casing that is around the light bulb, and basically there are two electrical devices that need to be powered up, 1) a pump, and 2) a light bulb.

The light bulb takes 4.5 volts so I had to use this to power it **broken link removed**

The Pump however, looks like it takes 120V. Is there any sort of way to combine these two devices so I can just plug it into the wall using one plug and not two? As you see in the diagram, two cords are sticking out of the base, but I would like to only have a port instead. That way, if the cord gets pulled in any way, it won't mess up the electronics inside. Can anyone help me out? I am a beginner in electronics.

Thanks in advance!
Evan

As you said, the bulb will take 4.5 volts to glow, and as it looks line a filament bulb, it naturally doesnt matter wether you power it with AC or DC. So the simplest thing you can do is use a 0-4.5 volt Transformer (Two wires for AC side and two wires on the secondary which will give out 4.5 volt ac which can be directly connected to the bulb.) Thus when you connect the proimary side of the transformer, just connect the pump's ac wires in parellel so that both are powered by the same wires. Simple....But as you work with mains volatge, be carful to take precautions and you are at your own.
Cheers.
https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/10_1291009702.jpg
10_1291009702_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help, I got more questions though! :)

1 - 0-4.5v you say? So if I power the bulb using 3.5V, or 1V, it would still work? Would the light just be dimmer?

2 - Can I use the transformer I already have, and just connect the wire from the mains to the prongs? Is there a better solution to do this, like a really cheap and small transformer you could recommend that is different from the one I already have?

3 - How can I make it so there is a port on the edge of the base instead of having one big long wire? I want it to be like this: **broken link removed**

4 - Last thing, is it possible to have some sort of button or switch on the outside of the plastic base which would give me control over the following?:
Option 1: Light on / Pump off
Option 2: Light on / Pump on
Option 3: Light off / Pump on
Option 4: Light off / Pump off

Last edited:

dear you can also use 9V or 12V transformer (which one is easly available in market) then regulate it though a regulator IC.
For Options you can use toggle switches for both devices.
One for pump and one for bulb.
You can control both devices through switches.

dear you can also use 9V or 12V transformer (which one is easly available in market) then regulate it though a regulator IC.
You can control both devices through switches.
The only reason for doing this would be because these are more common, correct? Would it be more cheaper? How would I "regulate" it through a "regulator IC"? I don't understand what these terms mean.

It's very unwise to use a hazardous voltage in water, especially where it's completely unnecessary. Just use a 12 VDC submersible pump and a 12 V bulb. These are readily available.

Thanks for your help, I got more questions though! :) 1 - 0-4.5v you say? So if I power the bulb using 3.5V, or 1V, it would still work? Would the light just be dimmer?

Yes..using any voltage below the specified voltage of the bulb, will make the bulb glow dimmer.

2 - Can I use the transformer I already have, and just connect the wire from the mains to the prongs? Is there a better solution to do this, like a really cheap and small transformer you could recommend that is different from the one I already have?
Yes..you can use it in the way you mentioned but use a bulb equal to the volatge available from the transformor for better brightness. Too be very carefull while handling AC mains, and sugession from "KJ6EAD" may be considered.
3 - How can I make it so there is a port on the edge of the base instead of having one big long wire? I want it to be like this: **broken link removed**
Yes..you may do as shown in this picture.

4 - Last thing, is it possible to have some sort of button or switch on the outside of the plastic base which would give me control over the following?:
Option 1: Light on / Pump off
Option 2: Light on / Pump on
Option 3: Light off / Pump on
Option 4: Light off / Pump off
To do this use individual swicthes for both. One swicthes the Motor, and other swicthes the Lamp. Simple.

It's very unwise to use a hazardous voltage in water, especially where it's completely unnecessary. Just use a 12 VDC submersible pump and a 12 V bulb. These are readily available.

Using 4.5V is a hazardous voltage? I have to use 4.5 because I am using a Maglite light bulb because they project the shadows on the wall the best compared to other bulbs I've tried. Why is 9V or 12V better?

Yes..you may do as shown in this picture.
How? What is the little port thing called?

use individual swicthes for both. One swicthes the Motor, and other swicthes the Lamp. Simple.
Can you show me how to wire it up? I'm having trouble, I got this far but I don't know if I'm doing it right: **broken link removed**

Last edited:

Using 4.5V is a hazardous voltage? I have to use 4.5 because I am using a Maglite light bulb because they project the shadows on the wall the best compared to other bulbs I've tried. Why is 9V or 12V better?
4.5 V is not hazardous per se. 9V or 12V is better when you can replace the mains powered pump with one that works at a lower voltage. In this manner, you are keeping the mains voltage away from the water and the low voltage lighting portion of your circuit.

How? What is the little port thing called?
It is an "AC Power Jack" and must be rated for mains voltage and the current draw of your pump and transformer combined. Connecting to it must be done with extreme caution.

Can you show me how to wire it up? I'm having trouble, I got this far but I don't know if I'm doing it right: **broken link removed**
You diagram seems to be missing the line for the mains connection, but theoretically you are on the right track. However, once again the issue of mixing both mains and low voltage in your switches is a problem. What if there were an accidental connection from the pump switch to the 4.5v light switch? It would not be safe...

You do not appear to be familiar with working on mains voltage. I strongly recommend you do not attempt to complete your project in this way. I urge you to find a low-voltage pump and only supply low voltage to your device. If you can find a 12V water pump, it is a simple matter to convert the 12V to 4.5V for your preferred lamp. We will be willing to assist you in this regard.

Last edited:

It is an "AC Power Jack" and must be rated for mains voltage and the current draw of your pump and transformer combined.

I couldn't find any when I did a Google search. This was the closest thing I could find **broken link removed**

Any ideas? :-?

You diagram seems to be missing the line for the mains connection, but theoretically you are on the right track.

Yes, I didn't know where to connect it. Should it connect to the wire going into the bottom switch, or the wire coming out of the bottom switch? :-?

However, once again the issue of mixing both mains and low voltage in your switches is a problem. What if there were an accidental connection from the pump switch to the 4.5v light switch? It would not be safe....

If I forgot about the switches completely and left them out, would it be safer and could I keep working with what I already have?

I could use glue or silicon and stick the wires to the base to isolate the wires from each other so they don't touch.

You do not appear to be familiar with working on mains voltage. I strongly recommend you do not attempt to complete your project in this way. I urge you to find a low-voltage pump and only supply low voltage to your device. If you can find a 12V water pump, it is a simple matter to convert the 12V to 4.5V for your preferred lamp. We will be willing to assist you in this regard.

If you insist... You know more about this stuff than I do.

I still don't really see the difference though :sad:. It's either 120V to 4.5V (already have the transformer and pump for this) or 12V to 4.5V (don't have the pump or the transformer (do I need a new transformer too?)

Last edited:

There is nothing special componenet in the project. I guess everything will be available in ones own junk box or a electrical vendor. Regarding connections, just connect the wires as shown and remember to insulate the joints as you'll be running potentially high voltage on it. The little port thing is a AC plug Or AC power cord as it is called (when it comes with plug and wires moulded).
Cheers

- I have one guy telling me to wait and get another pump before I do anything, and I have another guy telling me that what I have is fine and to go ahead and wire it up. What am I to do?

- I still need to know where to solder the AC Mains wire to. Before the switch or after the switch? **broken link removed**

- Found this , which is exactly what I had in mind, but it looks like those types of plugs are only for DC. Looked around for AC ones but still couldn't find any.

I can make a video after I am finished and show it to you before I plug it in to make sure everything looks safe, if necessary.

Last edited:

I coudnt see any where the DC jack comes to application in your project. Anyways, to determine where you can search componnents for, letting know your location will get you better answers.

If you are not sure about what to connect and where to connect, please do take assistance from professionally qualified friends. Wiring the full system is just a matter of 10 minutes for am electrician. Good luck
Cheers

Reactions: vlor

vlor

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I also agree with Pranam... I have refrained from further comment because of my concerns. Mixing mains voltages and water is dangerous and here (US) requires certification and power circuits protected by GFI. For example, your diagram does not show any ground conections nor does the picture of your power cord have a ground connection. By the way, I am NOT an electrician, just a cautious hobbyist. I actually made a power supply for lighting around my pond garden and burned up the unit, as in blackened and charred components! So I have had a lucky - as in not burning down the house - experience in a similar situation.

I spent some time redrawing your diagram, but removed it because I do not want to feel responsible if anything untoward were to happen.

As to "What is thing thing called", it is a receptacle or jack. In the US, I would use a power cord like that found on desktop computers (called an IEC power cord) and connect it to my project with this

Reactions: vlor

vlor

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks guys! So if I just get a 9V or 12V (nothing higher) water pump, then I can continue with the project? Will I need to buy anything else like some sort of new transformer, or will I be able to just get a low voltage pump and start wiring everything up right away?

Btw, I never mentioned this, but the water pump I was going to use is UL listed. I don't know if that would make a difference or not as far as safety.

As to "What is thing thing called", it is a receptacle or jack. In the US, I would use a power cord like that found on desktop computers (called an IEC power cord) and connect it to my project with this

That looks like a good part to use even though it's a little bigger than the other one I had in mind. It doesn't look like something I would find on a lamp like this, but it looks like it will work just fine. Those power cords that go into them are really easy to find too.

to determine where you can search componnents for, letting know your location will get you better answers.
I live in the US

-----

As a side note, I'm wondering if this project even possible anymore. I emailed Maglite and they told me that their bulbs only last for 25 hours. I guess now that the only alternative is to get an LED, but I'm wondering if they will give the same effect that I am looking for - we'll have to see...
The reason why the filament bulb works so well is because it is omnidirectional, where as with LEDs... they seem to only have a 180 degree viewing angle at best...

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.