Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can i interface a USB device to my own embedded system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng_ahmed22

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
usb on the go interface chips

Dear all, Hi :)
how can i interface a USB device to my own embedded system?
that story is i have a Barcode reader, First it had UART (serial) interface. everything was ok, i have interfaced it to my embedded system (AT89c51 + LCD) every thing was great. but this device now damaged, and the market has only USB Barcode readers !!, how can i interface the new BARCODE reader to my embedded system? is there are ready made USB to serial can fit? or how can i build it? i have some experience with AVR mcs. can that be usefull??
please help
thanks a lot
Ahmed

vinculum at89c51

Hello,

You need to implement a USB host in your embedded system. there are microcontrollers available with built in USB host. Also you can try out external usb chips such as ISP 1161.

usb to serial microcontroller host

Perhaps these FTDI chips are interesting for you: http://www.vinculum.com/prd_vnc1l.html
They can also be interfaced via UART. I think fullspeed USB is sufficient for a barcode scanner.

i made my own usb to serial adapter

ur 89c51 microcontroller has an already built in serial port communication so all you need is to under study the microcontroller serial communication. i know that the port 3 pins have a special pin for serial connection precisely p3.6 and p3.7
:idea:
aditionally, interrupt can be used for better efficiency
attached is a sample personal project for an intelligent door controller incorporating a display.
it could be of help

barcode scanner embeded with php

It is very likely that barcode reader uses some USB to serial converter internally. If that is the case, all you have to do is make connection on barcode reader to serial connection and bypass USB interface chip.

usb implementation on at89c51

joby16 said:
Hello,

You need to implement a USB host in your embedded system. there are microcontrollers available with built in USB host. Also you can try out external usb chips such as ISP 1161.
M!k said:
Perhaps these FTDI chips are interesting for you: http://www.vinculum.com/prd_vnc1l.html
They can also be interfaced via UART. I think fullspeed USB is sufficient for a barcode scanner.

Hi joby16 and M!k.
Many thanks for ur replys.
but is there any ready made USB host to serial adapter? instead off building the USB host in my system.
I wand to avoid building that USB host because these chips are not available here. also i want to use the old HW. with minimum changes.
thanks a lot.
Ahmed

vinculum ftdi usb avr

Hi there.
I've found this adapter. it is USB to PS/2, it mainly used in keyboards mice. I know that PS/2 is serial. and dealing with PS/s is much easier than dealing with USB.

is that solve the problem?? hope so
what is ur opinion???
Ahmed

vnc1l adapter

Dear,

I dont think it would be help full while interfacing usb device with embedded system. It is ok when you want to use it with PC as pc has usb host hardware and software. But for embedded side like microcontroller you cannt easily implement usb host on microcontroller . So personally i dont think it is usefull for embedded side.

Dani

usb ready embedded system

Hello,
there are chips available which converts USB to UART/ SPI for USB device side.
**broken link removed**

But i have no idea of such chips in the Host side.

microchip usb + ps2 + barcode reader

That USB-to-PS/2-adapter won't work unless the USB-chip in the barcode scanner can additionally to USB deal with the PS/2 protocol. It's a pure passive adapter.
Read that old discussion here:
For exapmple this Cypress controller is such a device which can switch between USB and PS/2: **broken link removed**

usb host serial converter

M!k said:
That USB-to-PS/2-adapter won't work unless the USB-chip in the barcode scanner can additionally to USB deal with the PS/2 protocol. It's a pure passive adapter.
Read that old discussion here:
For exapmple this Cypress controller is such a device which can switch between USB and PS/2: **broken link removed**

Thanks M!k :)
I'll try that converter may be the barcode scanner has the chip which can deal with the USB and PS/2 automatically. if not i'll try to implement the USB host.
I've found this link: http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/co...lh36_cdl28_dct23/blh36_cdl28_dct23/index.html, what is ur opinion about it?
Is it usefull for me? will it work??
best regards
Ahmed

usb host avr serial

A software based USB implementation as the cornell project can work at low speed only, it's probably suited for the said barcode reader. But a PS/2 interface would be much easier.

usb scanner interfacing with usb microcontrollers

Use a USB to serial converter, these are cheap and readily available off the shelf.

usb uart embedded system

have a look at www.ftdichip.com

They have serial & Parallel interface USB controllers, also their support and chips performance is very good. price is good and chips are available from many sources (like www.digikey.com).

Hope this helps.

cheapest usb otg microcontroller

the solution is to implement USB on the go (USB OTG) this is the only way to attach a host usb device to an embedded system ( Microchip has such microcontroller ) it is new and 32 bit but it will work

embedded micro controller with built in usb

Many Thanks,

But i have no idea of such chips in the Host side......

Shareefa

**broken link removed**

barcode reader vinculum

Asslamo 3likom

How are You Ahmed,
you can port your system to micro controller with USB ,
but not USB Device as your Bar code reader is the Device.
so you micro should have USB host or OTG capability

Salam
Hossam Alzomor
www()i-g()org

Dear all,
Thanks a lot to all of you for your kindly replies.
really I appreciate your kindness.
I'll study your suggestions and inform you with results.
Many thanks.
Ahmed Salah El-Badry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back