Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can i increase the output current in a transformerless power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyricsslim

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am designing a 12vdc,200mA transformerless power supply using in4007(diode) for rectification,a ceramic capacitor 475k and 10R resistor for limitting,a zener diode (in4742A) for a regulated output.after the connections, the 12Vdc was gotten but am not still getting the output current, the transformerless power supply is needed to drive a relay of 12vdc 160mA.below is the circuit diagram.

Vsource=220VAC
Freq=50Hz
C1=4.7µF/400V
R1=10Ω/2W
D1-D4=IN4007
D5=IN4742A

tranformerless.jpg

Why are you using 1M (R2) ?
Using this high value resistor would not allow you to draw any current. As you know I=E/R, I=12/1,000,000, result =? (12µA).
You may get 12 volts reading on the VOM but those are not usable, only measurable. Here is a circuit which can deliver 12 volts and about 100mA. Hopefully it will operate your relay.

BE CAREFUL OF THE LETHAL VOLTAGE
Power.jpg

MOV is 250 volts varistor, ZD is 12 volts/1W zener diode and R3 should be 1W.
Hope it helps.

Assalam o alaykum Sir Raza;

i wana ask why you used 4A Fuse here...... as you said this is only 100mA power supply???? i think a maximum of 1A fuse should be enough. Kindly explain the reason. and how can i make a Transformerless powersupply of 20A and High?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.