Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I create the loop of a circular loop antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkirkby

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to model a loop antenna, but are not sure how to draw the loop. I have seen this done in the past, and if I recall correctly, a circle is drawn, and then that swept along a arc. But I can't seem to find out / recall how to do it.

I did think of drawing a torus, then chopping a bit out by drawing a box over the torus, and doing a subtraction. So essentially putting a cut through the torus.

Any ideas? I have access to HFSS 14.

I'm guessing driven model with a lumped port is optimal. I say that, as that is what is used on a dipole in the HFSS antenna design tool. This seems pretty close to that sort of thing.

try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWftIKlIB8c

but its better to download and install Maxwell 14.0 for this purpose.

Once I did and I simulated my design. However, when I fabricated it, the result was different than that I obtained in simulation. (

So after weeks trying and searching about it, I concluded that I cannot trust these simulations.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/352576/

I believe you misunderstood me - note I mentioned the word "torus"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torus

I want a loop like a torus, but with a gap - see image. I'm looking for something to fabricate out of copper pipe, not something on a PCB.

I simulated that with a circumference of 1.0 m, and 10 mm diameter tube (I used a perfect electrical conductor for the simulation. The resonate frequency is around 130 MHz, but varies as I change the solution frequency even slightly, so I'm not entirely trusting of the results of the simulation. The problem with a lot of EM simulation software is that it is easy to make a mistake, and those mistakes are far from obvious.

• Create a document in OpenOffice, and you see if the text looks right or not.
  • Edit a photo in Gimp, and you can see if it looks right.
  • Perform an EM simulation in HFSS, and it is far from obvious if the results are correct or junk.

What I done there was
  1. Draw a torus
  2. Draw a box that overlapped the torus
  3. Performed a subtration using Boolean -> Subtract.
I don't believe however a torus is the right way to do this - I think a circle should be swept around an arc of 340 degrees or so. Therefore the loop has a gap. I just don't know how to set it up.

I made u this tutorial, I hope it helps you.

la1.pngla2.pngla3.pngla4.pngla5.png

- - - Updated - - -

Here you can change angle:

la6.png

A torus works. A circle rotated about an axis works. The rotated circle can have some interesting effects if you make the angle of rotation a parameter and then pick the wrong angle. Keep an eye on the resulting model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back