Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how about simulator developed by xilinx itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

young

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is your opinion?thx

What in the world ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT KID??

If I'm right, Xilinx developed a functional simulator for vhdl and verilog for their new ISE Foundation 7.1. But It's been just released this week, so I don't know, how many companies got it, let alone tested it.

I think that it's very good, because the simulator module Xilinx used before is very bad.

well dude can aneone whos using ISE 7.1 please compare this version with its previous versions 6.3i . coz thats the version am currently using..I wish to upgrade to the latest.

Please do help.,

with regards,

The sales person told me it is good so far since there is isnt much complains on xilinx forum so far.

But he also said it is probably good for CPLD development. And more importantly the limit on the gate counts increase to 1million gates(if i remember correctly)!

If you have tried it, let me know ;)

LATTICE provides the simulation envirenment, however even the 3rd Part tool. Every company is expert in their field only.

I've got the ISE7.1, but don't have time to try it.

xilinx has a simulator in ise7.1 itself??

zhuoyue said:
xilinx has a simulator in ise7.1 itself??

Yes, here ya go:

Xilinx ISE 7 In Depth Tutorial
**broken link removed**

go to page 93...

PS - This simulator works in Windows only...

Hello

I have tried it. And in my opinion it is much worst than integrated simulator in Quartus. One positive thing is that it supports testbenches in vhdl/verilog, Quartus doesn't. I will stay with Modelsim XE.

Cheers

I have experience working with FPGA using Altera, and I've got very good results using Quartus, in terms of reliability and accurancy. I'm trying to learn some Xilinx tools, but I found them very bad, terrible to work with.

jetset said:
I have experience working with FPGA using @ltera, and I've got very good results using qu@rtus, in terms of reliability and accurancy. I'm trying to learn some Xilinx tools, but I found them very bad, terrible to work with.

can u mention on what grounds have u concluded?
is it xlinx ise as such or xilinx simulator in specific?

really? i haven't got ISE7.1, maybe i will get it so..
but i don't think xilinx has advantage in synthesis and simulation , XST is an example

I have experience working with FPGA using @ltera, and I've got very good results using qu@rtus, in terms of reliability and accurancy. I'm trying to learn some Xilinx tools, but I found them very bad, terrible to work with.

I know how you feel!

One of the first packages I used was Altera’s max+2 then I went onto Quartus.

Moving around projects I’ve used the Mentor tools (Renior, HDL Designer and the one before renior, cant remember the name) Xilinx tools, Altera tools, Lattice tools, modelsim leanardo spectum the list grows and shows my age lol!

Anyway back to the subject, just like you I found the transition from Altera tools to Xilinx tools really difficult, I thought that the Xilinx tool was terrible but……….

I now think it’s really really good. Stick with it mate its worth getting to know well.

Kind Regards
[/quote]

The thing is that simulation is not Xilinx expertise. Xilinx are FPGA developpers, and as such, concentrate on FPGA and tools required to map a design in their FPGA.

They do have a synthesizer, but there again, it may not be their main focus.

There are some companies that do specialize in synthesis and simulation. Those companies does that since many years and concentrate all their effort toward those products. They are recognized by the industry, and are often preffered by the customers designing the FPGA and ASIC.

For example, many ASIC companies require their custommers to at least test using some specialized simulators, like ModelSim.

So, for Xilinx interest, and for customers interest, Xilinx are better to put their efforts on their P&R and FPGA.

Well, I don't say they are not working on a simulator. They may well hire more resources to do that. But for the above reasons, costommers will take time to accept a new simulator. For most companies, for simulation, it is still "ModelSim and this", "That and ModelSim".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back