Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how about motorola's hc08 series microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddt694

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to use them in my new design

pic and st are also better

ddt694 said:
How about them???
Did you want to ask something about them???
Your post isn't very informative.

hi, friend
my question is:
are the hc08 series microcontrolles popular, easy to use?

thanks

Hi !

A new series of HC08 uCs are available: 68HC908Q Nitron. They are cheap and can be programmed using free tools from Metrowerks (Codewarrior) for Assembly and C languages. They come in dip packaging (8 and 16 pins). Simple and cheap. Flash program memory, ADC, internal clock, no eeprom.

I think 68HCxx are very popular, and Motorola are pobably the most sold 8-bit MCU in the last decade.
8051 are more common, but it is made by a lot of different vendors, while 68HCxx is only made by Motorola.
I Motorola is very popular in the automotive industry.
Motorola changed name to Freescale Semiconductor recently.

For hobby use I guess Atmel AVR and Microchip PIC are the most popular MCUs.

Market share for 8-bit MCU vendors:
r_3.gif

As you can see, Motorla is the biggest vendor with 22%, the 26% is the rest of the vendors not mentioned.
I don't know which of the 68HC families is the most popular.
Many all Philips, some of Atmel's and some of the "26%" are 8051 MCUs.
Atmel's market share of 6% consists of both 8051s and AVRs.
Renesas is the merger of Hitachi and Mitsubishi.

You should consider the new HCS08 family also;
it's a low voltage improved version of HC08 core. It works at higher freq and implements the BDM interface for debugging (which is more versatile than the classic MON08).
Even the internal peripherals have been redesign (timer, uart and so on..) for a more simple use.

Bye, wn.

I have used them for some projects, they are easy to use, Motorola user manuals are well explained, there are 8,16,20,28 and 40 pins DIP packages, and also SOIC. They have many modules for ADC, timer, keyboard, serial comunications, depending on the model you chose.
I think Motorola is the best choice for microcontrollers. :D

ddt694 said:

If You are not familiar with their achitecture from before
then I sugest you to use Atmel

nenad_p said:
If You are not familiar with their achitecture from before then I sugest you to use Atmel
yes, i am not familiar with hc908 series. what i only know is motorola's microcontrollers are vert robust.

Status
Not open for further replies.