Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hold time pass on FF, but failed on TT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxshai

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to pass the hold time check on Best Corner, but failed on Typical corner?
Any one can help me out?

Thank in advanced
Jax

Yes, it is possible.
In Best corner, data delay between flops in minimum, so you would expect hold to fail on this corner, and since the data delay between flops increases in typ corner, you wud expect hold to pass on it, if it has passed on Best Corner.
BUT
in a postlayout netlist, it may be possible that in typ corner, the delay in clock buffers is increased more than the data delay between the flops, so under these circumstances the clock is delayed and the data is not(as much as the clock), so your hold may fail on typ corner, even though it passes on best corner
Kr,
Avi
http://www.vlsiip.com

Thanks, avi.
I agree your description above.

However, for project timing sign off condition. Is it necessary to take Typical corner as one sign off condition, if the foundry just recommend to do worst/best, worst LT/best HT as sign off condition?

Yes, it is necessary, even if the foundary doesn't mention it, I will pass my sta on best/typ/worst corners.
The fix for your problem is not difficult, just insert some more buffers in the failing path, and it would be fine
Kr,
Avi
http://www.vlsiip.com

jaxshai

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for sharing your experience and it helps.

BR
Jax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back