Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

highest RF frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_pourfathi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the highest RF frequency ever used in a device? was it just experimental or it's being used? was it for communications purposes? I mean the highest radio frequency in microwave range, not the visible light!
thanks

Well, i know for radars that working in Ka band (nearly 40GHz).
There are type of rf tubes called Gyrotron which are capable to deliver continuous power over 1kw on frequencies over 300ghz. For similar purposes there are also reflexive triode.
For semiconductor devices, there are MHEMTs capable of working on frequencies over 200ghz. (I do not know any device which using them on that frequencies, so it might be that they are only experimental devices).

Today E-band radio links emerge for networking. They use up to 96 GHz. This is real commercial euipment around us. In the papers I read about 300GHz equipment.

**broken link removed**

Very interesting paper. I did not know that ham are trying so high frequencies. By the way, historically, ham discovered some bands. For example, HF communications were first developed by ham operators back in 20-ties. Then military guys took it to use.

Yes, a fascinating web page.
An oscillator tube called a "carcinotron"?? What a great name, if you have dark sense of humor.

Related tidbit: Here's the United States Frequency Allocation Chart. It's very colorful.
The chart stops at 300 GHz. Above that point, the name changes from RF to infrared.
https://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.html

I did work on a radiometer that stopped just short of 200 GHz. Handling the waveguides was interesting. That is not quite at the 300 GHz cited above. I also spent considerable time with precision measurement tools and surface plates to get everything lined up. Radiation patterns were made on a compact range.

Beamwidths less than a degree from a parabola 5" in diameter gives one a new perspective.

One of the greatest amateur radio designing microwave stuff is Michael Kuhne DB6NT, the owner of KUHNE Electronic.

**broken link removed**

He was one of the first amateur in the world which did some experiments in 411 GHz.

In the first link very interesting the losses along the communication path

"Atmos Loss: 10.6 dB/km "

I'd like to know how affects the atmospherical conditions at these frequencies

The radiometer I mentioned above is intended to study temperature and water content in the atmosphere for weather prediction. Propagation loss/absdorption at various frequencies plays a part in the measurements.

Here is a snapshot of this particular instrument:
h**p://www.spacemart.com/reports/NG_Ships_First_Advanced_Tech_Microwave_Sounder_Flight_Instrument_To_NASA.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back