Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Voltage Small current Multiplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgf

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings ,

Need some advice on multiplexing high voltages in the range of 2KV to 12KV ( with a small current like 10mA to 80mA).

What I mean : is there any electronic component capable of that (i.e. thyristors, transistors, special IC, etc) switching in the High Voltage side, without using any transformers.

Multiplex stepping will be quite fast.

mgf

That voltage levels are quite high. If you looking for a semiconductor device that can switch to those voltage level, I am afraid you won't find any. Normally electrons in the semiconductors at this tremendous pressurel will be force to move causing permanent damage and permanent short to the terminals of the semiconductor device. My suggestion is use a electyro mechanical device, probably relay of some kind or pneumatic devices that will break through the connection physically. This is a normal practice in high voltage control such as power lines and high capacity generators. They use pneumatic switches.

hope this help

How fast is "quite fast"?

Here's one company that makes small HV relays. Beware - expensive!
**broken link removed**
The web site also has a cross-reference to other manufacturers.

@echo47

The device will have to operate 24/7 with switching times ~ 100us to 800us. That's why have written "quite fast" with respect to using hv relays. So unless I 'll find some relay switching at that speed (though I'll have to replace them often if do) I will use multiple hv transformers and do the multiplex in primary low voltage winding. It's about a big neon signboard to be more specific.

Much obliged,
mgf

Ah, neon signs. Here's a 3-page article that may give you some leads:
**broken link removed**

mgf

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back