Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Power Switch for Power Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectronicsRookie

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
High Power Switch for Low Power Signal

Greetings,
I am looking for a way to make low power signal (about 2V and 5oo uA) to turn on switch to short another independent source (about 8 to 12V and 1 t 5 mA) without stealing power from another source and without loosing power by this process. My first choice was MOSFET however, for Vds of 10V I need minimum Vgs of 7V to turn on/off MOSFET using IRF9630. (by experimenting, suggestion where this can be found on datasheet will help too since I dont know how to read this). I believe MOSFET will not do, I might try darlington optocoupler or analog switch . My goal is to use minimum power as much as possible to turn on switch for a decent power source. It sounds like impossible task, but I will appreciate some experience/suggestions from anyone.
Thank you.

Hi
source and without loosing power by
I hope you know there is no ideal thing in this world ! ( all of the circuits has dissipation however just a bit ! )
hence a bit power consumption is unavoidable .
I am looking for a way to make low power signal (about 2V and 5oo uA) to turn on switch to short another independent source (about 8 to 12V and 1 t 5 mA)
Well there are gang of ideas available for your aim . such as using mosfets ( there are many many mosfets available that can be turned on with voltages below 2 volts ! )
or perhaps using a BJT to do it . or perhaps using an opto coupler .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

I think EPAD MOSFET will do the job. The gate voltage / current limit are in 2V/100 uA range. They can handle large Vdd and Ids. They are much better than optoisolators when forward current is at best 500 uA which is too much for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back