Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

high output power colpitts oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

The circuit below you cannot simulate in AC analysis as without sufficient drive, there will be no current through the transistors.

I assume that you drive this circuit with about 12Vpp (so you have almost full output swing). The power you can extract from this circuit depends on the current handling of the transistors and dissipation.

Maximum current rating is 200mA, so your load should draw less then that. When your drive this transistors into saturation (square wave drive signal of about 13Vpp), dissipation will be low. This is because when there is current through the transistors, there is almost no voltage across C and E.

When you use a small drive, you will have larger product of Ic*(Vce). Depending on the package of the transistor, it may run too hot. When you have the T092 or SOT223 version the risk over too high die temperature will not be so high.

When you use a 50 ohm load with about 13Vpp drive, the output current will be about 5.6/50 = 110 mA. Given a square wave, output power will be 5.6*110m = 610mW. With a sine wave drive (13Vpp) output will be half (so about 300mW). When you want to drive your transmitter coil, you things become more complicated.

Note that at 100mA, the HFE of the transistors drop significantly so you source should be able to supply at least 5mA. When using a low impedance source and applying too much voltage, you may bias the BC diodes too much. Some resistance between source and input will reduce the change on this.

tip: when you flip Q1 vertically, you can change your drawing so it is easier to read.

Addition:
instead of 1N5400 series, you have to use schottky diodes in case of MHz frequencies. 1N5400 has low reverse capacitance, but the recovery charge is too high for MHz operation.

hello wimRFP, sorry again for latency but i just finished my exams.
now am writing my thesis about the wireless transmission of power through inductively coupled resonators if you remember.
practically i used an ordinary signal generator instead of the suggested colpitts oscillator, and i came out with a very poor results (only 13cm of wireless transmission to light up a LED :-( ) and i couldn't even figure out my efficiency because the current is smaller than the range of the multimeter and couldn't be read by it.
so in the results part of my thesis i will put only the analytical results, and am having problems for determining the efficiency, because i have now equation for it, so if you have any idea please help.

Vtx = 2*pi*f*L*I and For the reception coil: EMF[V] = N*A*uo*H*2*pi*f
please look at this link at page 45 (12 of 15) in the pdf
https://www.mit.edu/~soljacic/wireless-power_AoP.pdf
and tell me if you understood it please.
many thanks in advance.

hello wimRFP, sorry again for latency but i just finished my exams.
now am writing my thesis about the wireless transmission of power through inductively coupled resonators if you remember.
practically i used an ordinary signal generator instead of the suggested colpitts oscillator, and i came out with a very poor results (only 13cm of wireless transmission to light up a LED :-( ) and i couldn't even figure out my efficiency because the current is smaller than the range of the multimeter and couldn't be read by it.
so in the results part of my thesis i will put only the analytical results, and am having problems for determining the efficiency, because i have now equation for it, so if you have any idea please help.

hi
i am doing the same project on witricity.
first of all congratulation that you succeed in glowing led using wireless transmission. i am doing the same project so please help me suggesting the circuit of oscilator you have used.
congratulation again.

Addition:
instead of 1N5400 series, you have to use schottky diodes in case of MHz frequencies. 1N5400 has low reverse capacitance, but the recovery charge is too high for MHz operation.
hi
first of all congratulation that you succeed in glowing led using wireless transmission. i am doing the same project so please help me suggesting the circuit of oscilator you have used.
congratulation again.

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

hi
congratulation again.

incidentally am also working on this project

have you succeeded in glowing LED?

Sorry Ravi I just saw your comment, yeah I succeeded in glowing a LED and I wish I could help you with your project. So what do you need to know, and I can send you my thesis if you need.
Sorry for the latency again.

well, congratulations for your LED lighting,

i learnt a lot from all of your guys^^

if i were you, i 'd divide it to several part: oscillator, buffer, power amplifier ( antenna(coil) )

for oscillator, since we have the buffer we just generate the frequency and voltage needed;
for power amplifier we can considering the matching with the load (antenna).

And i think without a shielding of EMI, it is dangerous for people at this power...

Status
Not open for further replies.