Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High or low frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sputnik

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Do lower frequencies travel further than higher frequencies with the same power output?

Sputnik :idea:

It all depends on the propagation mode. Lower frequencies have less loss on ground wave. The D layer (which only exists during daylight times) absorbs the next higher frequencies (MF). The F layers reflect in the low end of the HF range.

Woh, any tutorials/ebooks that slowly bring you up to knowing those advanced terminolgies.

The idea is that I'm making a simple transmitter and receiver for wireless data transfer between 2 computers 20 meters apart, so far, I've got an oscillator running on a 2.4576 MHz crystal (or a basic AM transmitter).

For these short distances, the antenna efficiency is what is going to control your distance. With the numbers you give, the separation between the stations is a very small fraction of a wavelength. A decent antenna will be longer than the station separation. All you can do is experiment.

Hi,

with that small carrier frequency your possible bit rate will be very low, communication is going to be very, very slow (comparable in speed with dial-up modem rather then WLAN)

flyhigh

Hi,

Higher freq wave are less prone to noise will travell longer distance without much loss of power. And it will strongly depends on medium too.

Thanks
Animesh

The data rate doesn't matter (for now), but I have increased the frequency to 6.630059MHz (I don't know where I found these crystals!)

But now I'm needing to build a receiver and I am not having very good success. Anyway of building a crystal based receiver and not an LC tank receiver?

in some sense yes

but there should not be any plasma cover to stop it as it happens in ionoshere.

otherwise only higher frequncy would be able to go through it

yes high frequency is suitable for WLAN communication!

In the same condition, the lower frequency, the further it can transmit.

maybe it is affacted by the surroundings

Added after 1 minutes:

for eg the forrest will absorb special fre seriously

As flatulent's reply
It all depends on the propagation mode
normally the lower frequency, the further it can transmit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back