Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

helping me to design a coax to waveguide transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashutoshkedar

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying with HFSS to design a circular waveguide to caxial transition in X-band but even after optimising the probe length and dia of short to waveguide wall i am not able to get the bandwidth
Can anybody help me with that

Hello, you may be able to "tune" the device for increased bandwidth. You can do this by drilling and tapping holes into the waveguide wall and inserting screws. Once the screw is in, adjust the screw height to optimise performance, then lock the screw off with a locknut. In-line with the probe will probably work best and you may need more than one. You can also put "pucks" (dielectric or aluminium) into the waveguide aperture to tune the transition. This is a simple fix and you can play around with the diameter and location. Fix the pucks with a good qualitity adhesive, once you have found the best location (for epoxy; eccobond 286 or silicon; RT3145). I've even seen this done with steel nuts! Be careful if the device will see high power, as you might get some electrical arcing, try something like PTFE pucks if this is a concern and test at low power.

If all you are doing is a probe and a backshort, then do not expect to get much bandwidth. HP had a pretty good design where they used λ/4 transformers to step down the impedance to the probe, which was a centerpin of the coax connector grounded to the other side of the waveguide, with a backshort in reduced height guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back