Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with high speed rail to rail input stage for opamp design

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixosu

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to design an op-amp with rail to rail inputs and am finding an issue with the symmetric input stage trick. I am limited to a process with no floating gate and nothing fancy like triple well.

I have tried two approaches, one with a simple dual (symmetric) nmos and pmos differential pair and also with a dual folded cascode approach (see Figure 24.48 from Jake Baker's CMOS IC design book any ed.)

The issue I have is that when I analyze each diff pair or folded cascode diff pair by itself I get a good frequency response with say a BW of X and a crossover frequency (f unity) of Y. When I tie them together to form the symmetric diff pair for rail to rail input I get a bandwidth much less than X and a crossover frequency much less than Y. In the frequency response it looks as if putting the outputs together is causing a new pole at low frequencies to be formed.

When I tie them together I either just tie one to an nmos and the other to a pmos and form a crude AB buffer from that, or use Monticelli biasing (floating current mirror), either way I see the same effect.

I can remove the effect by reducing the gain of one of the input pairs such that one is an order of magnitude above/below the other in terms of low frequency gain.

Could this be a simulation artifact/error?
Could I be doing something very wrong when I tie them together?
Does anyone else know of this phenomenon of a tradeoff between bandwidth and having rail-rail inputs?
Is there a workaround or solution to this issue that can give me my rail-rail input without introducing this low frequency pole?

Any help appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.