Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help to reduce Inductive Kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

saikat36

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a PSU which have

i/p-- 230V AC & 2A
o/p-- 20V AC & 4A

whenever I going to switch off PSU from AC outlet
it creates a large spark due to inductive kick.
Can anybody suggest a very good schematic to reduce such inductive kick.

Thanks.

you need something for soft start and soft switching off, something like a dimmer :)
what type of PSU it is ?
its a SMPS or a transformer ?

first you need to make that the PSU is in stand by mode, because whet it is ins st-by, its automatic powering some of the power down, and then u can simple turn it off by a manual switch, search the web for the schematic of the PSU, see where needs to be puled up or down to go in st-by

Actually I think nobody understand my problem.
I further mentioning whenever I am going to switch off PSU from AC outlet a large spark occurred at switch. I already try it by changing switch & 10Amp female socket which is attached to my AC outlet. Is there any I can do around my switch such that those inductive kick can reduce.

If anybody have any doubt about my problem plz feel free to ask me.
Thank you.

something like this?
when the voltage goes above the nominal zener voltage it connects to ground :)
**broken link removed**

Sorry but I have to say where you find Zener bro?
Did mention it anywhere in this thread?

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

Can anyone suggest me a good snubber ckt. to solve my problem?

Can anyone suggest me a good snubber ckt. to solve my problem?

Actually you cannot easily avoid the spark, because the inductive stored energy must be dissipated - somewhere.
With a surge protection device (SPD) in parallel to your switch you can avoid the spark (which would ruin your switch on the long run) by dissipating the energy in this protection device. Use a TVS diode, a varistor or a MOV with appropriate voltage/current/energy ratings, find one e.g. at this distri or from this producer.

Okay I will try.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.