Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help To extract Dell EXE BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamkamalrandhawa

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Freinds i need a way to extract dell exe bios. I want TO reprogramme Bios on some dell laptop because their Bios Is corrupted. Thanx In advance.

I'm not sure exactly what you want, but I'm guessing that you cannot boot the laptop even into BIOS mode because the BIOS is corrupt.

Which laptop?

Most laptops (actually, most BIOSs) have an emergency recovery mode whereby it is possible to force a BIOS update even if the system cannot boot.

Try this:
Download the required BIOS file; let's call it x.exe
Extract the HDR file from the x.exe with: "x.exe -writehdrfile". This will give a file x.hdr
Copy x.hdr to a formatted diskette, perhaps on a USB-diskette (might even work on a pen drive)
Rename x.hdr according to the list below
Unplug the adapter and remove the battery from the laptop
Hold "END" down on the keyboard while you plugin the Adapter
The battery light should come on red
Release "END" - the laptop power should up
Wait while the diskette is read, this might take some time (you'll hear it)
The laptop should shut down or restart itself
Job done!

Dell Latitude D410 : VENI???.BIN, VENI???.HDR, VENI???.HDC, VEN????.BIN, VEN????.HDR
Dell Latitude D420 : CRO????.bin, CRO????.hdr, CRO????.hdc, D420???.bin, D420???.hdr
Dell Latitude D430 : CAR????.bin, CAR????.hdr, CAR????.hdc, D430???.bin, D430???.hdr
Dell Latitude D610 : AZED???.bin, AZED???.hdr, AZED???.hdc, AZE????.bin, AZE????.hdr
Dell Latitude D620 : TRAV???.bin, TRAV???.hdr, TRAV???.hdc, D620???.bin, D620???.hdr
Dell Latitude D630 : BRIS???.bin, BRIS???.hdr, BRIS???.hdc, D630???.bin, D630???.hdr
Dell Latitude E4300 : LOLA???.bin, LOLA???.hdr, LOLA???.hdc, E4300??.bin, E4300??.hdr
Dell Latitude E6400 : RSH????.bin, RSH????.hdr, RSH????.hdc, E6400??.bin, E6400??.hdr

If your laptop is not listed, try google.

Thanx for your reply Mr. FoxyRick. But i have treid given command and programme the ROM IC with ROM programmer instead of Folppy diskette but didn't working.
I'm not sure exactly what you want, but I'm guessing that you cannot boot the laptop even into BIOS mode because the BIOS is corrupt.

Which laptop?

Most laptops (actually, most BIOSs) have an emergency recovery mode whereby it is possible to force a BIOS update even if the system cannot boot.

Try this:
Download the required BIOS file; let's call it x.exe
Extract the HDR file from the x.exe with: "x.exe -writehdrfile". This will give a file x.hdr
Copy x.hdr to a formatted diskette, perhaps on a USB-diskette (might even work on a pen drive)
Rename x.hdr according to the list below
Unplug the adapter and remove the battery from the laptop
Hold "END" down on the keyboard while you plugin the Adapter
The battery light should come on red
Release "END" - the laptop power should up
Wait while the diskette is read, this might take some time (you'll hear it)
The laptop should shut down or restart itself
Job done!

Dell Latitude D410 : VENI???.BIN, VENI???.HDR, VENI???.HDC, VEN????.BIN, VEN????.HDR
Dell Latitude D420 : CRO????.bin, CRO????.hdr, CRO????.hdc, D420???.bin, D420???.hdr
Dell Latitude D430 : CAR????.bin, CAR????.hdr, CAR????.hdc, D430???.bin, D430???.hdr
Dell Latitude D610 : AZED???.bin, AZED???.hdr, AZED???.hdc, AZE????.bin, AZE????.hdr
Dell Latitude D620 : TRAV???.bin, TRAV???.hdr, TRAV???.hdc, D620???.bin, D620???.hdr
Dell Latitude D630 : BRIS???.bin, BRIS???.hdr, BRIS???.hdc, D630???.bin, D630???.hdr
Dell Latitude E4300 : LOLA???.bin, LOLA???.hdr, LOLA???.hdc, E4300??.bin, E4300??.hdr
Dell Latitude E6400 : RSH????.bin, RSH????.hdr, RSH????.hdc, E6400??.bin, E6400??.hdr

If your laptop is not listed, try google.

You have not said what the laptop model is.

The instructions that I gave are for using the emergency recovery file; I have no idea if you can simply write that file directly to the chip. What file size did you get - did it match the chip's size?

Can you verify that the file has been written correctly to the chip with your programmer? Did you use SPI, or pull the chip from the board and plug into your programmer?

You must use adequate programator for that eeprom in that Dell.

Needed informations: Dell model and exact text from EEPROM chip.

Meanwhile check this :

Dell System Beep Codes

If an error occurs during startup that cannot be reported on the monitor, your computer may emit a beep code that identifies the problem. The beep code is a pattern of sounds: for example, one beep, followed by a second beep, and then a burst of three beeps (code 1-1-3) means that the computer was unable to read the data in NVRAM.

If a beep code is emitted, write it down on a copy of the Diagnostics Checklist and look it up in the following table. If you are unable to resolve the problem by looking up the meaning of the beep code, use the Dell Diagnostics to identify a more serious cause. If you are still unable to resolve the problem, contact Dell for technical assistance.

If the computer loses power and beeps constantly when you turn it back on, the BIOS is probably corrupted. See "BIOS Recovery Utility" for information on restoring the BIOS.

System Beep Codes

1-1-2 Microprocessor register failure
1-1-3 NVRAM read/write failure
1-1-4 ROM BIOS checksum failure
1-2-1 Programmable interval timer
1-2-2 DMA initialization failure
1-2-3 DMA page register read/write failure
1-3 Video memory failure
1-3-1 through
2-4-4 Memory modules not being properly identified or used
3-1-1 Slave DMA register failure
3-1-2 Master DMA register failure
3-1-3 Master interrupt mask register failure
3-1-4 Slave interrupt mask register failure
3-2-2 Interrupt vector loading failure
3-2-4 Keyboard controller failure
3-3-1 NVRAM power loss
3-3-2 NVRAM configuration
3-3-3 Real-time clock (RTC) or keyboard controller not found
3-3-4 Video memory failure
3-4-1 Video initialization failure
3-4-2 Video retrace failure
3-4-3 Search for video ROM failure
4-2-1 Timer tick failure
4-2-2 Shutdown failure
4-2-3 Gate A20 failure
4-2-4 Unexpected interrupt in protected mode
4-3-1 Memory failure above address 0FFFFh
4-3-3 Timer-chip channel 2 failure
4-3-4 Time-of-day clock stopped
4-4-1 Serial or parallel port failure
5-1-2-3 Memory read/write failure
5-2-2-1 Mismatch or unsupported memory modules
5-2-2-2 Mismatch memory module pair
5-2-2-3 Unable to initialize memory modules

Last edited:

sorry it was dell inspiron 1420. yes i was remove the ic from the motherboard an place it in the Programmer's socket and file was written succesfully.
You have not said what the laptop model is.

The instructions that I gave are for using the emergency recovery file; I have no idea if you can simply write that file directly to the chip. What file size did you get - did it match the chip's size?

Can you verify that the file has been written correctly to the chip with your programmer? Did you use SPI, or pull the chip from the board and plug into your programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back