Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help-standyby power supply and driver ic

Status
Not open for further replies.

rascabuche

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can anyone accomodate me with this simple questions. on a tv set, what is the role of a driver ic ?,and where on the board it is located? how many volts it is expected to have if it is funtioning. pins it carries? a part no. may help me to locate one.

Thanks in advance for ur help.
rascabuche

Well, the standby power supply is to provide the power for the remote control receiver. If there was no standby power supply, your remote would be useless.

Driver IC -- what do your mean here? "Driver" is such a generic term. Do you mean like a MOSFET driver? The transistor driver could be driving the MOSFET for the flyback power supply in the TV. It is there to provide enough current to the gate to turn the transistor on and off. The driver should be near the MOSFET. Its voltage depends on the device. It could possibly be running off 12V for example, depends on your system voltages. Common FET drivers are IR2110 (from International rectifier) and similar numbers. Check out the IR website.

Best regards,
v_c

A-C,

Thanks for ur help. i now have a better understanding of the above subject matter.

cheers,

rascabuche

Thanks. Take a look at this table of single lowside driver ICs from International Rectifier
**broken link removed**

I think the main power supply and the stand-by power supply for the TV use a flyback topology and each power supply probably has a single n-channel MOSFET with the source terminal connected to ground so this is pretty easy to drive. It is probably using something from the table above. However, since the TV manufacturer buys these in bulk they may have the marking erased or changed so you might not be able to match it exactly. You should also take a look at the switching MOSFET to see if there are any markings on it as well.

Best regards,
v_c
Capacitor Voltage

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.